Find a job for a canadian

Hi everybody,

I am canadian and I am wondering what is the process to work in Italy?

I have a degree in Electrical Engineering and i'd love to work in Italy. (I can speak french, english and a little italian)

Is it possible to go to Italy as a tourist first and then once you have a job apply for a working Visa?

I would love to have some information please.

Thanks a lot for the information guys xx

Hello and welcome on Expat.com barbaralachance :)

I hope other members will tell you more about the more formalities soon ;)

Regards
Armand

Hello fellow Canadian!

With a degree like yours I would try to go to France or Switzerland even since you speak French.

Italy is one of the poorer European countries with a miriad of economical issues right now and it would be really really difficult to get a job if you don't speak good Italian. Although since you speak French you might be able to pick it up quite fast.

Work visas are not easy to get, you definitely have to find a job first and you would have to be here for the interviews. Then with contract in hand you can possibly get going with the complicated immigration process here.

If its adventure you are looking for, Italy is a lovely place to be, but if it is money Canada for young people has much better options.

Do you have any experience or knowledge of the solar/ renewable energy industry? Because that is a growing industry here, but if you don't there aren't many industries thriving and hiring at the moment. When looking fot jobs try to look at international companies, they pay better and the growth options are often better too. I have a lot of international friends working for Italian companies, and well lets just say this ain't Canada and sometimes things just don't go the way they should.

But that being said, I do have friends who are doing well here and are happy as well, but you have to be very very lucky.

The North (Milan, Tourino, Genova etc) might have more opportunities for you.

Most of the international people I have met here in Rome at netowrking events work for UN agencies or are English teachers or diplomats. I lived in Milan for a year and its more business oriented so there are more varied opportunities here.

Anyway, this is just going on my experience and observations as a Canadian living here for 2 years. I came to do an MBA, ended up getting an Mrs. as well and am therefore here in Rome. Had I not gotten married its very unlikely I would still be here. Its a lovely place to be if you get a good job (paying more than 40K Euro per year).

Hope this helps.

Cheers
fellow Canuck, Neeya
www.worldcitizeninrome.com

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the information.

I mainly have experience in the aluminium industry, but I have always been interested in renewable energy.

Let's see if I can find a job then ;-) First task will be to improve my Italian! :-)

Thanks again,