Relocating to Malta from Estonia to Work and Live

Hello All,

I just got a job offer as a Software Developer in Pieta, I have a couple of question to help me make a decision to either take the offer or not:

1. I'll get a gross salary of 28k per annum (salary increments will be considered and discussed annually or at shorter intervals and will be based upon the performance). Considering that i have about 15 months experience is this amount fair?

2. Is it possible to survive on this amount in Malta?

3. Where is the most affordable place to get an apartment (I don't mind travelling for about 30 minutes to and from work)?

Cheers,
Tolu

Good afternoon!

28K is actually a good amount for the experience you have, and it is possible that your wage will increase after the 6 month probation, and again after a whole year with the company.
The average wage for a Junior Software Developer (0-3 years experience) in Malta is between 22K-26K, so you're already above average.

You can live very well in Malta with a salary of 28K. You would be earning around 1780Eur a month, with which you can easily put aside 700Eur for a nice comfortable apartment and have 26Eur for bus transport (if you don't drive), meaning at least 1K left for shopping, going out, enjoying yourself.

If your job is in Pieta, some close towns you can choose to live in are (all within 30 mins):
Msida, Gzira, Ta' Xbiex, Pieta, Swatar as well as Sliema - which is a little more expensive than the previous mentioned. On average, you can find a nice one-bedroom apartment in Sliema for 600Eur, however for the same price, you could probably get a 3 bedroom apartment in Pieta and Swatar. Have a look at some real estate agencies and browse their websites to get a better idea of what's on the market currently.

Hello @vacancycentre

Thanks for you input, I appreciate the information it will go a long way in helping me make an informative decision.

Cheers!

vacancycentre wrote:

Good afternoon!

28K is actually a good amount for the experience you have, and it is possible that your wage will increase after the 6 month probation, and again after a whole year with the company.
The average wage for a Junior Software Developer (0-3 years experience) in Malta is between 22K-26K, so you're already above average.

You can live very well in Malta with a salary of 28K. You would be earning around 1780Eur a month, with which you can easily put aside 700Eur for a nice comfortable apartment and have 26Eur for bus transport (if you don't drive), meaning at least 1K left for shopping, going out, enjoying yourself.

If your job is in Pieta, some close towns you can choose to live in are (all within 30 mins):
Msida, Gzira, Ta' Xbiex, Pieta, Swatar as well as Sliema - which is a little more expensive than the previous mentioned. On average, you can find a nice one-bedroom apartment in Sliema for 600Eur, however for the same price, you could probably get a 3 bedroom apartment in Pieta and Swatar. Have a look at some real estate agencies and browse their websites to get a better idea of what's on the market currently.

Looking at real estate websites will not show you what is available as most of them are out of date as mentioned on here many, many times.

Yes, thank you for your comment. I didn't specify that those apartment will or will not be available. I simply stated it will give him an idea of the prices of the apartments available in certain areas in Malta. Thank you.

You actually stated what is on the market currently which read as being available.

vacancycentre wrote:

Yes, thank you for your comment. I didn't specify that those apartment will or will not be available. I simply stated it will give him an idea of the prices of the apartments available in certain areas in Malta. Thank you.

But as GozoMo said, your post say's 'currently on the market'. Most will not be! They may be listed, but they are not available, so not 'on the market to be let'

Ray