How do they treat women in qatar?

Im moving to doha soon and people in scotland seem to think women are mistreated in qatar. I think thats a misconception but would like others opinions please.

Ta, Louise

That is not true but what do u mean by mistreated , in public, work ???

i have many female friends, they ever mentioned  they have been mistreated.

u may expect some culture shock at first. But nothing to worry about.

good luck

I went to Doha alone as a single American Female earlier this year. I returned to the States only because my visit visa expired before I found work or else I would have stayed indefinitely. I was never once treated badly. But like anything else it is what you make it. Respect their beliefs and customs and you will have a great time once you get past the initial culture shock. (In other words if you present yourself as a respectable intelligent female that's how you will be treated). Everyone I met along the way was so kind and helpful to me. I miss it and cannot wait to go back.

tkinok74 very well said.  You have summarised the real situation of women in Qatar. I can add, as a husband, that Qatar is may be the safest place in the world for a woman. It's only in Qatar that I don't mind my wife going at night to the park with my kids while I am at work.

For whoever interested to know what's really going on in Qatar, just click qatarliving.com and share your questions or thoughts. You will find thousands of expatriates and dozens of interest groups.

Dear Louise,

If you are moving to Qatar in order to work in the medical field, and if you think you need to learn the basics of medical Arabic,  I am giving private courses to medical staff working at Hamad Medical Corporation. Most of my students are British Indians doctors and nurses.

Please notice my email just in case: **

Moderated by Christine 6 years ago
Reason : please share your contact via your private message system. Thank you.

Qatar is a nice country and I find it very comfortable. they treat women really good. Whether you are dealing with citizens or expats. People here only mind their own business. Add to that it is a safe country. I don't know about the cultural shock the truth I find everything normal here. I see the country moving forward.

No.its not true. In Qatar women are considered and treated equally or very fairly or  more than men.you are welcome.This is a nice country with dignity and proud. Do not give your ears for the outsiders .come  here and feel the real enthusiasm.