Keeping in touch while living in Thailand

Hello everyone,

What are the best ways you've found for keeping in touch with friends and family back home while living in Thailand? How frequently do you stay in touch with loved ones?

Are there local equivalents to common instant messaging and online video calling services that you prefer or are more widely used?

If there is a sizeable time difference, how do you manage this?

Do you make international phone calls from a landline or mobile phone from Thailand? What do you think of the cost?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

We use LINE, the Japanese version of scype only it's free. The calls are usually very clear. We also use land line, which is very cheap. Cost 3.00 dollars for a 1 hour call to the US.

I  use Facebook and LINE on a mobile phone or on my computer.

The question posed is how to keep in touch with family around the globe (from Thailand).

I personally use a combination of methods to accommodate the various other people involved and their familiarity with the communication techniques.  I use the LINE app to send photos and video and sometimes phone call / chat with Thai family living in the US.  I use Message and iMessage for texting and sending photos / videos.  I use FaceTime for family with Apple products and Skype or FaceBook Chat / Messaging to call, hold video calls or send text or messages for those people who use each particular venue or device.

Most people I communicate with are in the US with a 10-, 11- or 12-hr. time difference.  I work around their schedules for the most part, since I'm retired and most are still young working parents raising active families.

There are many social apps to communicate with your closed ones at free cost such as Line, Whatsapp, Wechat, Imo, viber, and Tango.

Hello Pricilla,

I use Skype , Facebook Video and Land Line as my Dad's not into the Internet :)  Video I use Monthly and E-Mail weekly  :)

Best Wishes To You and all Expats :)

Bob :)

I use Facebook messenger or WhatsApp both are very good  .

We bought a Magic Jack before we left the states. The phone no is a local no. In case our case, it is Seattle Washington State no. We paid only 35 dollars a year. We can make phone call anytime using our cell phone. We use the no for all our business such as bank, insurance ... It works out really good and we have away from home for almost 4 years.

I use Facebook messenger and whatsapp , to video call or phone the UK it's all free if you have broadband 👍

I don't.  They don't wanna talk to me so I don't wanna talk with them.

ccarbaugh wrote:

I don't.  They don't wanna talk to me so I don't wanna talk with them.

Sigh!....................................................................................................................................... :cool:

You can use Skye audio and/or video calls. Skype to Skype is always free. Skype to any phones in North America is 2.5 cents per minute. Very reasonable. Skype can be installed on cell phones, laptops, etc.

You can also use Magic Jack, and all your calls back to the USA are free, and anyone from the USA can call you on you Magic Jack is also free.

Viber is another way to call for free, but both sides have to be on internet.

Both Magic Jack and Viper like Skype offer low cost calling to non Magic Jack lines, or non Viper lines.

There are probably dozen more ways to stay connected, but I found those to be more than adequate.

You can also use any Internet Cafe's in Thailand and use Skype (your personal account) to make low cost calling, I. E. 2.5 US Cents to North America and many other places, but the cost maybe higher to other countries, especially to cell phones in other countries.

Any fans of Face Time?

Skype, E-Mail, sometimes Facebook and Messenger

Ruffian Dick wrote:

Any fans of Face Time?

Sure, I like Face Time but not everyone can afford or is a fan of Apple products.

Cannot afford  apple has ha

I have been using Skype for more than 10 years.
Lately I am using Messenger (Facebook) booth for texting and phoning as its very clear and perfect line connection. Otherwise we keep ourselves pretty updated and shares likes etc on Facebook.

villagefarang wrote:
Ruffian Dick wrote:

Any fans of Face Time?

Sure, I like Face Time but not everyone can afford or is a fan of Apple products.

FYI ~ Most retired expats (these days) can readily afford to purchase an Apple of any size, or configuration, myself included.

However, @ my age, I simply can do "without" the constant (eyes-on) security stress, associated with such a high-theft, proprietary machine, -i.e., the latest version of Notebook. Been there, done that, have the T-shirts.

My Toshiba, w/ optional Linux OS, gets the "Job" done-well, and stress-free. Thank you. :cool:

Thanks for making my point.  We possess very different T-shirts by the way. :cool:

I talk to my Mom 1-2 time a month on skype.
I talk to 2 of my 3 siblings around New Year on skype.
That pretty most it for me, And i am fine with it.

When i move to Thailand Friends & Family get me to open a account on Facebook.
But it is not me to use Facebook, I try for 1 year or so, But finde FB to be for young kids.
To see where people check in, what food they eating, Or seeing the tekst saying If your my friend i know you post this on your wall inside 1 hour, And so on !!!!

Well i hate it.

But lucky for friends & Family my Thai Wife LOVE FB big time, And she post everything on it, So i setup FB to post every thing she post, Så my Friends & Family can see it.

villagefarang wrote:

Thanks for making my point.  We possess very different T-shirts by the way. :cool:

Indeed,:top:,and praises to the gods, for those diversified life experiences, eh? Cheers,:D

Easy, i keep in touch via internet E-mail some use Skype but I'm all thumbs.... and a telephone call to America from here cost me 3 baht a minute (about 10 cents US). must be something simular for other countries......

Anyone use VOIP for phonecalls?

Duh, whats that??

VOIP is the stuff we are talking about.  It is communicating over the internet instead of normal landlines. Skype is a good example.  There are also prefixes which can be used in Thailand which reduce the cost of international calls.  The connection is not always great but I have found that when I get a bad initial connection all I have to do is hang up and call again.  Inevitably the second time is much clearer.

VOIP - Voice over IP - Hee hee.

Yep I dial 00400 then my US number and walla 3 baht a min...

I use messenger that's very nice and it's free with my mobile  :D

When I last visited, I replaced the SIMM card in my phone with one from Thailand. This gave me a local Thai number, as well as 4G connections.

If I want to keep that old number (in case somebody actually calls me), I think there should be a way to hang onto that number... Any ideas?

Hello ,

Two cellphones or if your Technical enough swapping the Sim Cards out.

Best Regards
Bob

Ruffian Dick wrote:

When I last visited, I replaced the SIMM card in my phone with one from Thailand. This gave me a local Thai number, as well as 4G connections.

If I want to keep that old number (in case somebody actually calls me), I think there should be a way to hang onto that number... Any ideas?

RD ~ I believe a single 300+ Baht top-up amount paid, on any SIMM card, is valid for one-year with AIS or DTAC.  :cheers:

In Thailand most people use line but if you want to communicate to family or friends in your country I think Viber is great. You can buy credits to make international calls are really cheap rates

Why spend money when your can Skype for free  ?? It's Secure and quality is pretty good or Facebook Messenger Video Secure and Quality is good as well.