Keeping in touch while living in El Salvador

Hello everyone,

What are the best ways you've found for keeping in touch with friends and family back home while living in El Salvador? How frequently do you stay in touch with loved ones?

Are there local equivalents to common instant messaging and online video calling services that you prefer or are more widely used?

If there is a sizeable time difference, how do you manage this?

Do you make international phone calls from a landline or mobile phone from El Salvador? What do you think of the cost?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

El Salvador: Keeping InTouch With the World

Here in El Salvador there are several ways that I keep in touch with family and friends in the U.S. and Canada. I use Magicjack that I purchased in the U.S. before coming over and set it up with a U.S. phone number, so I can make calls to the U.S. and Canada through the internet with no fee other than the yearly fee that Magicjack charges. I think that anyone retiring or traveling overseas should use this.

I also use email, which I would think everyone living or traveling overseas would use.

There are many options for a Mobil phone here in El Salvador, I use Movistar, because this is the one that we get the best reception from here in Cara Sucia. Movistar offers a plan of 150 minutes to the U.S. and Canada for $3.00, but you must use it in 10 days from purchase, which is no problem for me.

I also use messenger on Facebook and I use Skype, so there are many options that we use here in El Salvador to keep in touch with the rest of the world.