Keeping in touch while living in Malaysia

Hello everyone,

What are the best ways you've found for keeping in touch with friends and family back home while living in Malaysia? How frequently do you stay in touch with loved ones?

Are there local equivalents to common instant messaging and online video calling services that you prefer or are more widely used?

If there is a sizeable time difference, how do you manage this?

Do you make international phone calls from a landline or mobile phone from Malaysia? What do you think of the cost?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

We usually use Skype or Whatsapp to keep in touch, sometime Duo too.

These three works perfectly, Skype have international calling facility. So direct phone calls can be made here..

Locally what's app Facebook works anyways

Regards

messenger weekly

Messenger + Whatsapp + Skype weekly and sometimes  daily

I use Skype along with email.

Usually skype with the kids and watsapp with others. Used to use Viber but not many people seem to use it. Nowadays one can also call with watsapp or use FB to call, so it is not difficult to keep in touch.

I use Skype for text messages and voice,  and MagicJack which is a device you buy and then free calls to US from anywhere. And of course email.

The time difference is a major headache. Its 11pm in Malaysia now and in US they are not waking up yet. So when i have to call I have to stay up very late, sometimes to 3am, or I have to get up very early, like 5am. Im used to this but it doesnt mean i like it. For this reason, I limit the contact to whats extremely important and as a result it might be months between contacts with family.

I also buy IDD cards for emergencies and to call other places in Asia where Skype wouldnt be suitable. This is expensive, like calling China can run out RM10 in 20 minutes.

I made the mistake once of simply dialing on the house phone. Big mistake, RM2.50-RM4.00 per minute, and also Telekom Malaysia has no clear instructions about how to make international calls. This will require you to call TM first and be connected to an international operator. Very few people use TM for calls, but still try to avoid them.

One tactic about calling is to always keep an IDD card in your pocket. If the net fails, for example in an EMP or other disaster, the net and cell phones wont work but a land phone might. Its just insurance. Dont take the net for granted.

Collect calls, public phone booths, etc. We are still waiting for someone to invent ground-breaking technologies such as: Instant messengers, VoIP messaging apps and such.

WhatsApp-Skype-Mail-Facebook

I used Facebook Messenger and IMO