Considering relocating to Malta

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could advise if there is work available in Malta in the ICT industry?

I can see from some searching on the Internet that the ICT industry is growing due to Smart City.

I have had 9 years experience working for a large IT company in the UK and qualified in IT Project Management and as a Microsoft Certified Technician.

My husband and I are considering of moving to Malta this year (September) and before we made the decision to do so wanted to try and find out the likelihood of actually finding work, I have contacted a few agencies and they seem to think I would not have a problem, but do the jobs really exist? Would they consider a job to an English native and a non Maltese speaker?

I am aware that the wages are somewhat lower than the UK which I understand fully as I have lived abroad before.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

It is nice place here to move ... really you will enjoy it much :)

Hmmm - I'm not sure that Smart City is much more than a concept at the moment. I work in IT for a Web Services Company in Malta and so yes there are IT jobs but they are quite specific...for instance we recently tried to hire a Unix Sys Admin (Non-Maltese would have been just fine so long as English was good) and couldn't find anyone anywhere near qualified locally and ended up with our parent company recruiting someone to work through the night for us. On the other hand, if we need a Java programmer - no problem finding talented locals. Good luck to you - I'm not sure I can offer any advice. Check our Chad's (me3512 I think) postings on this forum, that may be enlightening.

Regards
Tim

Thank you Hassan for your positive input, helps us towards making the decision.

Thank you Tim, for the advise you gave and the luck you send, I have looked at Chads postings and can see he managed to get his idle job within 3 months and had offers with others. So thanks for that input.

So hopefully will not find it to difficult to find work.  I ideally would like to get a job before moving out there so I am planning to start sending my CV's out and see what feedback I get. Keeping a positive mind about this decision and hope to build a new future in Malta this year.

Thanks again,
Kind Regards
Lucy

As far as i know eve gaming companies look for IT people so you can always try those and their wages would be much higher. Also unless you are planning to work as a teacher of Maltese I really don't see why just speaking english would be a problem, its an official language too after all :)
in fact, i know quite a number of maltese people who don't speak maltese very well at all and they admit it. it's quite funny actually!

Hi Living the Dream, There are quite a lot of jobs on offer in Malta at the moment.  Your best bet would be to look at the gaming sector if you have a good IT background.  Pay in this sector is far above average.  However I would warn you about looking for a job in September.  Since University ends in June vacancies would have been taken up by a lot of new graduates.  Best time for looking for jobs in Malta is April - before the graduation rush.  Take Care, and Welcome to Malta :)

The Company I work for will be looking to hire 6 or 7 Java Developers in the near future (assuming plans do not change!) - an Ad should be forthcoming in the press in the next couple of weeks. They do not expect to be able to fill all these roles from the local talent pool. We will likely also be recruiting an Application Architect. If anyone is intereset and likely qualified feel free to PM me - but I am not involved in any way in the recruitment process so I will be of limited help.

Tim