Keeping in touch while living in Dominican Republic

Hello everyone,

What are the best ways you've found for keeping in touch with friends and family back home while living in the Dominican Republic? How frequently do you stay in touch with loved ones?

Are there local equivalents to common instant messaging and online video calling services that you prefer or are more widely used?

If there is a sizeable time difference, how do you manage this?

Do you make international phone calls from a landline or mobile phone from the Dominican Republic? What do you think of the cost?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Modern technology is alive and well here.  Social media is a biggie,  Whatsapp is COMMON here. 

Landline plans here in many cases an international call to many many countries is same cost as a local call.

Some use  various programs to stay in touch with loved ones back home at little to no cost.

I do not believe this is much of an issue here at all!

Not an issue at all here
There is Whats ap, skype, facetime, VIOP all available and calling on your DR cell phone is charged at local call rates to the US and Canada
We personally use:
Magic Jack (actually have our US number that I have had for 32 years.
Local Cell service with Orange and Claro
Not a problem at all.

Bob K

Thanks Bob - I was wondering about Magic Jack. All other forms of communication operate well and good. Cheers.

You are welcome. MJ has worked very well for us.  Many years ago we got a stupid price of like $49 for a 10 year contract.  NO idea what the current rates are

Bob K