Keeping in touch while living in Brazil

Hello everyone,

What are the best ways you've found for keeping in touch with friends and family back home while living in Brazil? How frequently do you stay in touch with loved ones?

Are there local equivalents to common instant messaging and online video calling services that you prefer or are more widely used?

If there is a sizeable time difference, how do you manage this?

Do you make international phone calls from a landline or mobile phone from Brazil? What do you think of the cost?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

What are the best ways you've found for keeping in touch with friends and family back home while living in Brazil? How frequently do you stay in touch with loved ones?

I use telephone instant messenger and facetime.

Are there local equivalents to common instant messaging and online video calling services that you prefer or are more widely used?

There is WHATSAPP I don't use it. I don't trust it.

If there is a sizeable time difference, how do you manage this?

There is 2 hours part of the time and 4 hours the other part. My family is aware of it.

Do you make international phone calls from a landline or mobile phone from Brazil? What do you think of the cost?

I don't do it. I use Vonage which is a VOIP phone with a USA number. It works quite well.

Jim

Hi Priscilla and everyone,

How do you keep in touch with friends and family back home while living in Brazil?
By e-mail and Skype.

How often do you contact them?
Every week.

Are there any local messaging or online calling services you use in Brazil?
None. Just the regular landline or VOIP thru Skype.

robal

I use skype to call back home

I use Skype and messanger.  Messanger is free.

Skype, especially when I'm doing an interview since I can record the conversation instead of relying on my notes.

I use Facebook and Whatsapp mostly for my friends and family. Whatsapp on the phone and computer. I love it because both ends are encrypted. Facebook only on the computer because neither end is encrypted and the Facebook apps use your phone's camera and microphone to learn what ads to send you.