Keeping in touch while living in Austria

Hello everyone,

What are the best ways you've found for keeping in touch with friends and family back home while living in Austria? How frequently do you stay in touch with loved ones?

Are there local equivalents to common instant messaging and online video calling services that you prefer or are more widely used?

If there is a sizeable time difference, how do you manage this?

Do you make international phone calls from a landline or mobile phone from Austria? What do you think of the cost?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

I am very lucky in the sense that I pay only €20 a month for my mobile phone contract. I get unlimited internet, I get 400 minutes to call anywhere in Europe a month (I never use up) I also have 2000 SMS in my package. 4000 minutes to call in Austria.

We also have a landline with the house internet package, although it would be expensive for us to call out on it my father can call up to an hour for free with his landline.

So I am not cut off from family and loved one.

If your mobile phone is connected to any WiFi/WLAN service you can use apps such as WhatsApp or Viber which would include free video calling. Facebook Messenger and Facebook itself is another free method. We also make international calls on the 'landline' via Cablelink to England. Costs seem quite reasonable too. So again no problem staying in touch with family in England.

"WhatsApp", as far as I know, is still tracking everyone's transmissions.  You may want to check this out before using this application...