English Teaching Jobs Sao Paulo

Hi everyone :-)

I'm an English native speaker who is born and bred London. After 10  years of working in Real Estate and Asset Management, I've decided to take a sabbatical for 6-12 months and have chosen Sao Paulo as my destination of choice starting in February next year. My ex-girlfriend is Brazilian (who I helped become fluent in English), and I remember how much more of Brazilian culture I wanted to see and learn about. I'm in love with the country and want to spend my time away there!

I'm really keen to teach young professionals English and would like some advice on how best to apply to schools and which schools are best. Do I need qualifications for teaching or is being a native speaker enough?

Really appreciate any tips or if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be super helpful!

Thanks in advance guys

Best wishes

Josh

Josh

Since you will be on a visit visa, it might be a bit challenging finding any proper institutes or schools that might be able to hire you.

Furthermore since your experience is in the real estate field and the only practice that you have mentioned about teaching English is to your ex girlfriend, I believe you might have better luck in looking for a few students who you can just teach on a free lance basis.

This is just my personal opinion and I can be wrong about it and you might get lucky and get hired immediately

Regards

Stanza

You have to come to Brazil and see for yourself. Schools usually advertise for their needs on newspapers like Folha de São Paulo which you can maybe subscribe on-line while in UK. I do hope that you already speak Portuguese as you will need it in Brazil.

There are many different schools and Wizard do administer an English proficiency exam before you can teach.

School salaries are not as good as private tutoring.

robal

Hi
You need a CELTA certificate if you want to be taken seriously

You might then have a very small chance of getting a job at a school like Cultura Inglesa
I must stress SMALL chance, theres no shortage of Native speakers here in Brazil who already have legal documents to work here, and also an abundance of highly qualified and very skilled Brazilian teachers in SP who you will be competing against.
These teachers already understand the culture and have attended English classes since they were little kids so they know exactly what to do...
Salary at a school like this is r$4500,00
Most other English schools you will be lucky to make over r$2000,00 per month
and if you are working illegally they wont pay you much.

Sadly English teachers are not well paid in Brazil and also the days of walking into a school and getting a job straight away as a foreigner are coming to an end.
The English school industry here is in Crisis and steady decline due to many factors.
Students here are seeking out other ways to learn like online classes , private teachers, exchange programmes and immersion weekends

Bear in mind São Paulo is almost as expensive as New York  at least with food and entertainment. Rent is cheaper. You can find cheap options but if you go to a nice bar or restaurant expect to blow about R$100 + in a night - when you compare this to the low salaries here, especially in the English field it's very expensive!

It takes about 1 - 2 years to get Established as a private teacher here to get a  few connections and a roster of private students (especially as you are not yet an experienced teacher) -
Private classes are the only way to make any real money teaching English here.
I guess you don't need experience to do this, but it certainly helps as students can pick up if you don't know what your talking about.

Portuguese is a huge advantage for explaining, making connections with students and teaching basic levels, you will be at a disadvantage without it, also bear in mind that most of the "Business side" (meetings etc) of schools here is conducted in Portuguese too.

I came here almost 3 years ago , with permanent residence so I could work legally. With an intermediate level of Portuguese and zero teaching experience.

I started at the bottom with the worst school in town and rapidly worked my way up to the best school, Now I only do private classes on Skype, I have some Brazilian students and teaching online classes for a Chinese company to kids in China. I also go on immersion weekends just outside São Paulo one weekend a month.
It took me 1 and a half years teaching classes at schools  before I really started to feel comfortable as a teacher here.