Advice for Saigon for newcomer

Hi everyone, my name is Martin, and in the near future I'm going to be moving to Saigon for a teaching course of about 6 months. I have accommodation sorted, not sure exactly where yet, but in Saigon somewhere!

I've been to Vietnam before with the organisation before, but it was to Hanoi and 'only' for 6 weeks. What I'd like to know is any general advice for places to eat, drink, relax, meet people and have fun, as well as any obvious pitfalls from living in the city. I plan to ride a motorbike around (I have done this before with mixed success!) so I should have some independence. What are the best ways to settle into the city?

Regards

Hi Martin,

Just get the Lonely Planet latest guide on Amazon.com,or, lonelyplanet.com
https://shop.lonelyplanet.com/vietnam/v … -guide-13/

Hi Martin,
Could you give more details e.g. what you don't wanna eat, what kind of activities you wanna join etc. so people here can advice you properly.

Beware of girls, tread slowly and cautiously.

Hi Martin & welcome to the forum.
Ok....you've already  got your accommodation sorted, your job lined up, you'll know your budget restrictions, and it's a 6 month deal. 

You've already got the main issues  covered, all you've got to do now is have enough clothes to wear & find something to eat.  😆

What can possibly go wrong. ?

......refer Post #4.

Hi Martin,
Welcome on board :)

There are certain expat-areas in Saigon (Dist 1, 2, 7 etc.) where you can meet other expats and hang out in bars and pubs.

We also have many themed coffee shops here in the south. I find the garden ones very relaxing.
Here's an old thread on that https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=520192.

Just keep your eyes open and senses alert to avoid scams, especially in and around those popular expat hangouts.

Please take your time to browse through all the old and new threads on HCMC and Saigon forums.
You will definitely get some good leads there.

Cheers  :cheers:

Welcome to the madhouse Martin.

Embrace it all, that's the best bit of advice, if something happens, don't think, well this didn't happen in England or why is this happening etc. A lot of things you will see how and no doubt encounter won't make any sense at all. You get used to it eventually.

There's a couple of bars that do free-flow on a Friday which are usually rammed with expat teachers amongst others and that is generally a good way to meet like minded individuals.

Bring a coat.

NatalieTran wrote:

Hi Martin,
Could you give more details e.g. what you don't wanna eat, what kind of activities you wanna join etc. so people here can advice you properly.

Definitely local and/or street food first!

For activities, places to swim, go to the gym, nice places to run, good places to drink and meet other expats and locals, and maybe anywhere else you think that may be fun or something worth doing.

Thank you all for your kind advice so far.

Please make sure that you can eat street foods without problems (allergy etc.) and be awared that the cheaper the foods are, the higher the possibility is, that they contain chemical substances.

You can still order sth. typically Vietnamese in "midsize restaurants" (5-10 USD/meal/person), e.g.
- Nhà Hàng Ngon (160 Pasteur, District 1)
- Chào Em! Việt Bistro (43 Thủ Khoa Huân, District 1)
- Bánh Mì Như Lan (64 - 66 - 68 Hàm Nghi, District 1) - many kinds of traditional cakes/desserts
- Bánh Mì Huỳnh Hoa (26 Lê Thị Riêng, District 1) - Saigon baguette 36.000 VND (~1.6 USD)
- Sadec Quán - Hủ Tiếu & Bánh Tằm (154 Nguyễn Đình Chiểu, District 3)
- Beefsteak Nam Sơn (157 Nam Kỳ Khởi Nghĩa, District 3)
- Bò Né 3 Ngon - Bò Quanh Lửa Hồng (18 Đinh Tiên Hoàng, Distrct 1)
- Cháo Lòng Hồng Nhung (91 Đường D2, Binh Thanh District)
- Lan Dũng - Bún Chả Hà Nội, Nem Cua Bể (649/2 Điện Biên Phủ, Binh Thanh District)
- Bún Đậu Ngõ Nhỏ Phố Nhỏ (158 Pasteur, District 1)
- Ốc Như (650/4/29D Điện Biên Phủ, District 3)
- Hủ Tiếu Mực Ông Già Cali (57 Nguyễn Du, District 1)
- Bún Riêu Nhà (19E Kỳ Đồng, District 3)
- Phở Hòa (260C Pasteur, District 3)

Nice bars:
- Carmen Bar - Flamenco (8 Lý Tự Trọng, District 1)
- EON 50 Cafe - 50th fl. Bitexco Tower ( 2 Hải Triều, District 1)
- Saigon Saigon Bar - Caravelle Hotel (19 - 23 Công Trường Lam Sơn, District 1)
- Thị Bar & Cafe (224 Đề Thám, District 1)
- Chill Sky Bar - Rooftop AB Tower (26 & 27th fl. AB Tower, 76A Lê Lai, District 1)

Museums:
- Bảo Tàng Thành Phố Hồ Chí Minh (65 Lý Tự Trọng, District 1) - city museum
- Bảo Tàng Lịch Sử Việt Nam (2 Nguyễn Bỉnh Khiêm, District 1) - historical museum
- Bảo Tàng Chứng Tích Chiến Tranh (28 Võ Văn Tần, District 3) - War Remnants Museum
- Artinus 3D Gallery (02 - 04 Đường Số 9, Khu Đô Thị Him Lam, District 7)
- Independence Palace (135 Nam Kỳ Khởi Nghĩa, District 1)

phuuuuu I am so tired of typing.

You could go to ICHI. Might be girls though. See #4.
http://www.ichicatcafe.com/uploads/1/3/2/1/13216255/1453615330.png

Thank you SO MUCH for that list, that's an incredible amount of detail, I'll be sure to check out as many as I can, it's very much appreciated!

And make sure you have your Hep-A and B vaccines before you come.