Ignorant "pro" m/c taxi drivers

Hi All

last night, I used several motorcycle taxis. All i. refused to give me the second helmet they carry. ii. some opted to drive with their lights off. iii. All stressed the semi-automatic clutch by avoiding gear changes. And they believe it's okay to stay in 3rd or 4th gear, no matter what?!?

Cannot buy used motorcycles. Such abuse will damage the engines...

iv. I needed to go to a hotel in a 1 miles radius. Showed a photo of the NHA GHI"s sign and the location on Google Maps. The guy couldn't find it.

v. I had a 18 y.o. taxi driver who clearly couldn't drive a car. What was the owner of the taxi company thinking?!? Knowledge regarding gear changes and shifting down (not just up) is often in short supply.

Have you observed the same?

Chris

Yes, of course. Driving techniques haven't improved in 60 years. Yes, they are SLOW learners. Back in 1968 the dtivers of little Renault 850 yellow and blue taxis drove only in top gear. Everywhere! Even from a standing start. The technique was to give the engine lots of revs, slip the clutch and forget the shuddering car, rattling body panels, and warnings of impending and immediate engine destruction.
More recently, a VN sister in law's then fiance from USA bought her a non-motomatic motorbike. She had destroyed the engine, clutch and gearbox by the time he returned to VN four months later.
So when my own wife needed a replacement motorbike I bought her an automatic and made sure the engine and gearbox oil was changed regularly.
Generally speaking, Vietnamese do not maintain there vehicles properly. This includes another sister in law who thinks that motorbikes fill themselves up with petrol, so she doesn't bother to do it herself. When she runs out of petrol, she rings her husband to "come and fix my motorbike. It's broken down again".
I could fill a book with other moto stories, such as constantly having to "rescue" my wife because yet sgain she had not recharged her electric motorbike. I got fed up with with rescue duties and bought her the automatic moto. She understands about petrol.

Reason why I don't want no vietnamese drive my car as it is not automatic, my father in law goes at least one clutch per year. Same can be said driver at the school...    also what is this when they leave traffic lights?!? I feel like most people are afraid or don't know where is gas pedal ;)

My wife is about to start learning how to drive.I feel sorry for the instructor as she cant ride a motorbike very well and is a nervous rider.
The average car driver here is not very capable. My wife's company car is driven by a twat that can't reverse down a 4 mt wide hem.

The problem is that they are “taught” everything parrot wise.   They simply copy the motions but don't have a clue what they are doing or why they are doing it.

Look at the building game here.   They don't know ANYTHING about water management.   Every place I've been in , some of them brand new , has leaked.    They don't know water will only run down hill, they'll put the drain hole in a shower at the highest point. 😬

I'd love a dollar for every burnt out clutch on vehicles here.   They probably only know that the gear that burns the least fuel is the one with the highest number on it, so that explains why they like number 4 gear.

hs0zfe wrote:

Hi All

last night, I used several motorcycle taxis. All i. refused to give me the second helmet they carry. ii. some opted to drive with their lights off. iii. All stressed the semi-automatic clutch by avoiding gear changes. And they believe it's okay to stay in 3rd or 4th gear, no matter what?!?

Cannot buy used motorcycles. Such abuse will damage the engines...

iv. I needed to go to a hotel in a 1 miles radius. Showed a photo of the NHA GHI"s sign and the location on Google Maps. The guy couldn't find it.

v. I had a 18 y.o. taxi driver who clearly couldn't drive a car. What was the owner of the taxi company thinking?!? Knowledge regarding gear changes and shifting down (not just up) is often in short supply.

Have you observed the same?

Chris

Which company are you using or are you flagging them down off the street? If you use Grab/Uber, you put the destination in...