Au Pair language requirement

Hi everyone!

I'm about to begin the process of applying for an "au pair visa" and I've found conflicting information about how many hours per week of French classes I will need to register for in order to obtain a visa. Somewhere from 3 - 10 hours per week from what I can gather. Are there any non EU citizens out there who have had experience with obtaining a visa to au pair in France?

Also, any other information regarding the documentation required to get an au pair visa would be greatly appreciated! Seriously, the more information the better, I want to be over-prepared for my visa interview!

Thank you so much in advance to anyone who takes the time to respond to this, I really appreciate any information you have to offer.

Welcome on the forum minimoose :)

I guess everything is explained in this article: http://www.consulfrance-washington.org/ … article405

Thanks for your response! I had actually looked at that website, and it does provide some good information about what documentation is required to get a visa.

However, like most of the sites about getting a visa, it just says that a letter of enrollment in a language school is required.

It does not specify how many hours per week of French lessons are required :-(

The site for the French consulate in NYC specifies 10 hours per week, but this seems like a lot, especially for someone who already has studied French.

If anyone reading this has worked as an au pair in France before, I would love to hear from you!

Thanks