Close

Expat tactics from a Vietnamese

Hi all,

I am a Vietnamese who is considering an opportunity to work in Singapore in the next year.
I am writing this topic to give my personal opinions and ask for your advises, Singaporean or expats in Singapore.

First, I want to make a short self-introduction. I am currently a digital marketer who has 3-year experience in this field, in an advertising agency and a publisher. I am able to do Facebook marketing, Facebook Ads, Google Adwords optimization, Design, Video Editing, and basic knowledge in Wordpress.
Therefore, I believe that my skills are good enough to join the advertising industry of Singapore.

Second, here is my plan. Singapore allows Vietnamese to visit this country within 30 days without a visa.
- I will buy a permanent Singapore SIM and turn on roaming while I am still living in Vietnam.
- I will create a profile and upload my CV on job seeking sites such as jobstreet or indeed, then I apply as many appropriate position as possible.
- Whenever a recruiter contact me, I will say that I am traveling abroad and ask for an interview in the next 7-10 days or interview via OTT apps such as Skype.
- I will book a flight prior to the interview
- I will rent a cheap shared room (around 350 SGD): https://rentinsingapore.com.sg/rooms-fo … red-rooms. Estimated cost for food around 20 SGD/day ~ 600 SGD/month. Other cost I guess around 500 SGD. Total cost for a month of living in Singapore ~ 1450 SGD => The amount I have to save before starting move to Singapore
- I also consider about the possibility to apply for a part time job such as waiter or storekeeper
- Within 30 days at Singapore, I will apply as many job as possible  with a minimum salary at 2200 SGD
- In case I still not able to find an appropriate job but I still have money, I will travel to JB, Malaysia and return to Singapore within a day as a start for a new 30-day permit.

Please help me consult that:
- Is it possible to buy a Singapore SIM, not a tourist SIM which is only valid for a few days while I am living in VN?
- Is it ok to find a part-time job during my 30 days?
- Is there any SIM which is able work normally in both Singapore and Malaysia without roaming, therefore I could choose to stay in Malaysia with lower cost of living and housing but still be able to apply for Singapore job?
- Is there any problem in my plan above?

It would be great if you could share with me your idea about this topic.

Regards,
Ke Quang

Your many assumptions are incorrect about Singapore. I always suggest people who want to know about Singapore job requirements, rental requirements and other basics, please visit related threads available in Singapore forum. If you would have visited these threads then you must have clarified yourself.

In short, there is no permanent SIM card for visitors which would have roaming free and you can call from anywhere in the world carrying that SIM card (if you live in Malaysia then yes, prepaid SIM cards are available which you can operate in both countries) , other than postpaid SIM card, which you need to have a valid working pass to apply. Secondly, you can’t rent a room or unit or share a rented room as a foreigner here. It’s illegal (but you may get few owners doing this business illegally). Thirdly, your interview related call won’t work here. Last not least, don’t work part time or full time when you are on tourist visa as it’s illegal and you will be landed into trouble. Don’t come here to break rules as you may unnecessarily create trouble for yourself. Good luck

huynhkequang :

- I will rent a cheap shared room (around 350 SGD): https://rentinsingapore.com.sg/rooms-fo … red-rooms. Estimated cost for food around 20 SGD/day ~ 600 SGD/month. Other cost I guess around 500 SGD. Total cost for a month of living in Singapore ~ 1450 SGD => The amount I have to save before starting move to Singapore

It is illegal to rent residential property without a residence visa (and for less than 6 months). On a tourist visa, you must stay in hotels, hostels or bunk in with friends (for free).
Even the cheapest rooms  thus available (which I personally would not want to stay in) cost S$60-80/night. If you double your monthly budget, you have a chance to survive (but miserably) - better plan on three times that!

huynhkequang :

- I also consider about the possibility to apply for a part time job such as waiter or storekeeper

No paid work of ANY kind is allowed on a tourist visa. The rules are very strict and penalties stiff (including never being allowed into the country again). DON'T!

huynhkequang :

- Within 30 days at Singapore, I will apply as many job as possible  with a minimum salary at 2200 SGD

The minimum salary for S-Pass is S$2200 for people without higher technical skills and work experience. With three years experience and skills, you'd probably need S$3000/month to get a visa.

huynhkequang :

- In case I still not able to find an appropriate job but I still have money, I will travel to JB, Malaysia and return to Singapore within a day as a start for a new 30-day permit.

Visa runs do not work in Singapore!
If you want to stay longer than your original visa (and have a valid reason for it - job search is not one!), you should contact ICA a few weeks before expiry. Tourist visa can be extended to three months.

Remark: All the above information (and more) is available in this forum and elsewhere on the Internet. That you were unable to find this yourself does not reflect well on your online capabilities and I would question your suitability for digital marketing. You might want to improve your skills before applying in Singapore.

Expatriate health insurance in Singapore

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Singapore

Moving to Singapore

Find tips from professionals about moving to Singapore

Travel insurance in Singapore

Enjoy stress-free travel to Singapore