Post - Undeliverable Mail

Hello, I really would like some help! :(

Where does post go that cannot be delivered? That is my question :)

The title is what it means 'undeliverable'...i'll explain.

So my parents sent me some birthday cards on the 28th September. I gave them my address in the following format (I live in an apartment):

My Name
Street Name and Building Number
Country
Post Code

The problem here is that it doesn't include my Floor Number or my Door Number which would have directed the Postman to my mailbox (plus, my mailbox didn't have my name on it at the time). Since it didn't I worry the post has been sent back to...somewhere??? Where is this place???

- The post wasn't sent with a Sender's Address, so they can't be sent back to the original sender.
- I have been to my district (XI) Post Office (112. Posta). They were referring me to the 'Bureau'??? and told me to call them on this number: 06 176782 82. Who is this?
- The post was not registered either.
- My name was not on my Mailbox at the time. It was my Landlords.
- Just for the record, and have not received any slip of paper of any kind.

So my question still stands - where does post go that cannot be delivered?

Think of it this way, if this post was sent in Hungary to another Hungarian address, but forgot to add their Floor and Door number to their apartment, where would the post go back to?

Many thanks for reading, hope there's some hope out of this :)
Matt

You might find one of your neighbours actually has it.  We regularly get other people's mail. I think the logic is that someone might know you so randomly dropping it in another postbox at the same or close location (like in a street) might allow it to find you. That's notwithstanding saving the postie's shoe leather.

Best practice is for senders to put a return address on their post.  These days I actually also include my mobile number.

Good idea, try asking in your house, maybe a neighbor does have it.
Our neighbor gave us mail a few times and we have our name on the mailbox.
Some houses may even have a board and it could be up on a pin.
I am not sure but the main post for Budapest is near Keliti station, maybe you should call the number they gave you and ask around.
PS, Happy Birthday!

Just to double check, I asked my husband, he said go to your local post, which you have already done.
He then suggested you get someone to help if you need it to call the number they gave you and ask around where the mail is.
They do tend to be a bit slow with mail here sometimes.
It once took nearly a month for a letter to reach my sis in the US and I paid extra for faster service.
Could be in route still. Maybe you could personally ask your mailman next time her comes to the house to deliver mail?

One more thing that probably doesn't need to be said, put your name on the mailbox ASAP.
Seriously thinking it over, it just might be late mail and on it's way.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

One more thing that probably doesn't need to be said, put your name on the mailbox ASAP.
Seriously thinking it over, it just might be late mail and on it's way.

I'll second that - put your name on the box - and for sure, make sure the address is really accurately written when people send you mail. Needs the  district (clue: it's the middle two digits of the postcode), street name, house number, floor/level, apartment number etc.  They use street names more than once in Budapest (and in Hungary generally).  I hate to think how many Bartok Bela/Szchenyi/Petofi utcas/ters etc there are.

While we're at it, it'll always be Moscow Square. Szell Kalman? Never heard of him.

MCD028 wrote:

I gave them my address in the following format (I live in an apartment):

My Name
Street Name and Building Number
Country
Post Code

What city do you live in? Kind of hard to deliver not knowing that. :)

Otherwise, not giving the apartment number may also be the problem.

I have found nothing concrete, but a guy claiming to be a postal wrote on a forum that undeliverable letters are kept at the regional processing centre for 6 months, then gets destroyed.

https://www.gyakorikerdesek.hu/egyeb-ke … evel-sorsa

You should contact the post's central office with the issue.

Also, next time dont forget to put the sender on it too.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Needs the  district (clue: it's the middle two digits of the postcode)

Only in the case of Budapest, where postal zones correspond with districts. Dont try it with other cities.

fluffy2560 wrote:

They use street names more than once in Budapest (and in Hungary generally).  I hate to think how many Bartok Bela/Szchenyi/Petofi utcas/ters etc there are.

Historically, most districts started as separate settlements. Each had streets with similar names. Later they were merged with Budapest. Hence the issue of multiple streets with the same name.

fluffy2560 wrote:

While we're at it, it'll always be Moscow Square. Szell Kalman? Never heard of him.

He was a prime minister:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%A1lm … Sz%C3%A9ll
Széll Kálmán was the original name of the square too. Before 1929, it didnt exist.

That said, I also cant make myself not to call it Moszkva.

Rawlee wrote:

Only in the case of Budapest, where postal zones correspond with districts. Dont try it with other cities.

Yup, I was assuming it was Budapest. I think it might actually be the same in Vienna.

Rawlee wrote:

...He was a prime minister:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%A1lm … Sz%C3%A9ll
Széll Kálmán was the original name of the square too. Before 1929, it didnt exist.

That said, I also cant make myself not to call it Moszkva.

Ah well, I could have  Google'd it as well but as I am opposed to it being anything other than Moscow Square, looking it up would have given the PC name brigade more legitimacy than they deserve.

For a long time I wondered why my house number was 1 when it is about the 6th or 7th house from the start of the street. I finally realised that the first 150 metres or so of street has a different name!

Hi guys,

Thank you all so much for replying, giving me your advice and great in-depth knowledge in helping me out with this.

I've decided to ring the Post Office Customer Service (061 767 8282). My Office Manager is helping me, as they will probably speak Hungarian, and he has already tried 3-4 times waiting 5-10mins each time so, patients is key.

I'll post the outcome on here whenever that happens...giving there's no problem with that too ha!

See you in other Forums.

P.S - Thanks 'Marilyn Tassy' for the birthday wish.

Your welcome and I hope it arrives in good order without too much more worry. Yes, please let us know how it turns out.