Do and don't in Macedonia

Are you living in Macedonia? We need you to share your experience of the local customs :)

Is it difficult to adjust to the local customs in Macedonia?

Could you please share with us a list of the do's and don't's in Macedonia?

Thanks!

Do...
- Be open minded
- Be friendly
- Be sensitive to economic differences
- Learn about the history of Macedonia
- Look at investment opportunity in Macedonia.
- Research the rules and regulation surrounding your specific business very carefully.
- Try to learn the language, people really appreciate the  effort even if (like me) your terrible at it.
- Obtain necessary documents from the UK police force to confirm you have no convictions or a criminal record so that you can apply for a Macedonian foreign id.  Or else your stay is limited to 3 months at a time.

Do not....

-  Trust everyone that offers you advice. ( Alot of "experts" on all subjects here. Good people just trying to help.)

-  Assume that your existing business can function here because it worked in the UK or broader EU.

- There are still some very odd regulations and requirements. Non doctors cannot invest in medically focussed businesses, there are also very specific requirements for businesses in construction etc etc. 
- Unless you have a degree level education you cannot own more than one company in Macedonia financial.  This is an example of some of the odd gotcha's that exist, there are others.
- Assume you can run a business here without actually being present or having someone to act as signatory here for you in your abscence. 
- Its actually illegal here for a notary to certify a document if your not in front of them. This last one can be very painful indeed if like me you like to spend time at home or travel on business and do not have someone you can basically give full control of your business to while your away. I have found to my cost that Macedonia is a Hague Convention country which governs legalisation related matters but in practise Macedonia is still some way from implementing this fully.

(moderated: off topic)

For Arioch13:

Are you sure your stay in MK is limited 3 months at a time???
I have worked in MK almost 3 years (in & out) but no officer EVER gave me some time to stay?

Mike

Yes, Arioch13 is right. Without a residency permit, you must leave the country after 3 months for at least 3 months. And in no case are you allowed to work without a work visa.

IŽve been living and working in Mk for almost 4 years. I exit and reenter the country at least once a month. Last year, when our company lawyers filed for the extention of my work visa + residency permit, it turned out that by some odd mistake the residency had not been issued the year before. So, without my knowledge, I had illegally resided in the country for an entire year. As in your case, when frequently crossing the border, my residency status was never of any interest to the passport controllers. But, after the ministry of internal affairs became aware of the irregularity, I was told to leave within three days. No kidding. German kicked out of banana republic. Thanks to my boss pulling some strings, I was allowed to return after only 5 weeks and not taken to court.

In the meantime, I have heard of a number of other expats who got expelled aswell. The authorities are trying to make a point lately.

My advice is, if your income stems from business in Mk, stick to their  rules and apply for work visa and residency.