Is anyone building their own house in Mexico?

i kind of suck at retirement, i can't just sit and read a book or go for long walks on the beach and all that BS, i need to keep busy.

in Thailand, i bought land (ok, technically my wife did) and built a house (with a team of about 20 workers) and we made a reasonable profit selling it several years later.

now i'm wondering about doing the same in Mexico, except if i did it again, i would probably take it very slow and try do all but the heavy lifting parts by myself. at least in Mexico, I understand i can own the land outright in my name if more and 100km from the coast, and even coastal property, there is a work around.

i wonder if anyone else on the forum has built their own place and your experiences.

i actually wrote a book about building my place in Thailand, here
https://books.google.co.th/books/about/ … &hl=en

I built, starting 12 years ago in Guanajuato, Guanajuato up in the mountains overlooking the city.  Contractor (a gringo) abandoned the job as soon as the house was in "obra negra" (raw cement).  No electricity for 8 months.  Used gasoline generator. Found my own workers to finish the house over a few years. Good luck and bad!  Learned more than I ever wanted to know about electricity and plumbing, did all my own carpentry.  Now, it's a beautiful 3 bed 2 bath house with garage and apartment. The whole process was an unforgettable and valuable experience.  Am now about to retire and want to develop a small non-profit cohousing community, using the main house as a communal area and build private duplex/cottages near it. Just starting out this plan. Write me at **** if you'd like to know more about my experiences or plans.

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct