Have a couple of questions to ask

Hi

We are about to locate to Malta, we are in our mid 40 currently living in Cape Town. No kids but two Labradors that will be coming over with us. I will be coming over in the next 2-3 weeks to look for a place to rent possibly purchase. I have a couple of questions to ask, if I may.

*)Is there a big SA community in Malta?
*)Do expat wives work full time or part time in Malta
*)We are not the night life sort of ppl,Would you suggest living on Malta or Gozo?
*)We will be looking for a place with 3-4 bedrooms, and a pool is a must
*)Is there good and not so good areas?
*)What side of the islands should we be looking at, on both Islands?
*)We are very active ppl and love the outdoors, i.e cycling, walking the dogs ect.
*) Is there any cycling clubs on the Islands

Thanking you all in advance

Welcome on board SkyeSA ;)

I have introduced your message as a new thread (in Malta forum) for more visibility ;)

I hope that your several queries will be answered soon ;) For your accommodation, you can also try the Malta classifieds section, Category>Accommodation. Hope this helps!

Regards

I really hope ect (electroconvulsive therapy)isn't a hobby of yours, and that you mean etc

*)Is there a big SA community in Malta? - no, atleast not in Gozo. However, from my experience, the country you come from is fairly irrelevant here
*)Do expat wives work full time or part time in Malta - some do, but if you are a non-EU citizen you would need a work permit
*)We are not the night life sort of ppl,Would you suggest living on Malta or Gozo? - most of both would suit
*)Is there good and not so good areas? yes, but the differences are not to the extent of most countries - I've never been anywhere in Malta I've not felt safe
*)What side of the islands should we be looking at, on both Islands? unless you are working, not important
*)We are very active ppl and love the outdoors, i.e cycling, walking the dogs ect.
*) Is there any cycling clubs on the Islands

Hi SkyeSA.

Welcome to the forum.

You would be best off visiting Malta and Gozo and just looking around and meeting people.

Choose a place for the first months short term ( furnished) and then decide when you have a good feeling about the apartment and area. Malta is a very small island.

There are South Africans on the island, I know a few myself, but , as George says, it doesn't really matter in the end.

People do cycle in Malta but I consider it very dangerous due to the roads and driving habits in Malta.

Also check out how to bring dogs from SA to Malta.There are many regulations so it is not easy. There are posts on this issue on the forum.

And please be aware of the residence requirements for non- EU nationals.The Permanent Residence Scheme is suspended at the moment.

Best of luck and regards
Ricky

Hi SkyeSA, Been living here for 15 years and its a nice and safe place to say.  Deciding where to live depends on your lifestyle choices.  If you love to go for walks the sea side is fantastic but also in the South you have lovely country walks.  Really depends on how you like to pass your time.  Gozo is a great place to live - the beaches are fab.  :)