Paying bills in Mauritius

Hello everyone,

What bills do you pay? If you are renting, are bills included in the price of rent, and is this common practice in Mauritius?

How can you pay your bills (e.g. online, at provider's store, at the post office)? Which is the most convenient or reliable way?

With what frequency are different bills sent in Mauritius? Are there different deadlines for payment?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

When I arrived here over 7 years ago, paying the monthly bills was a complete pain. Cheques or cash and a visit to the post office for just about everything. I had become used to EFT usage and this was one area where I really felt I wasted so much time making sure that CWA, CEB, Telephone etc bills were paid on time every month. And yes, a penalty is applied if you pay after the due date.

Fortunately this has changed considerably and I cannot recall the last time I wrote a cheque - for anything! Even the CEB is on board for EFT. 15 minutes on a Sunday morning at home and it is all done. Telcom just need to get on board and bill paying would be perfect.

Normal shopping of course has had debit card usage for years now but sometimes the amount of paperwork and outdated POS systems in certain shops is simply  a waste of forests and my time.

Hi Priscilla

The Best way to pay your BILLS is by Direct Debit .

I try extremely hard NOT to use direct debits.  It is all to easy to let the bank do the work and not track the payments being made. Also, if you need to cancel a direct debit, the time wasted at the bank completing paperwork can be simply ridiculous.

What bills do you pay? If you are renting, are bills included in the price of rent, and is this common practice in Mauritius?
--Rent, utility bills (water, electricity, internet, TV, Phone), home cleaning services (IF used - maid, gardener etc). Bills aren't included in the rent, usually.

How can you pay your bills (e.g. online, at provider's store, at the post office)? Which is the most convenient or reliable way?
--Post Office is the closest to me, so works out the best way for me. Convenient /reliable way varies.

With what frequency are different bills sent in Mauritius? Are there different deadlines for payment?
--Usually in the second half of the month. All different dates in this time though, with different deadlines (usually 15 days after).

Hi,
We pay the telecom bill online. It comes promptly every month. We had paid the bill for August but the amount was added once again in the bill for September so one needs to be very careful when paying the bills so as to avoid this sort of confusion.