Close

The Romance Tour That Made Me Meet & Marry the Love of My Life

Have you ever had an experience so literally life-changing that you wonder if it was the work of fate itself? I met my wife Olga in Ukraine when I tried one of those fancy romance tours, where you meet hundreds of women (15-20-1 ratio) during  “Socials.”
Before I met my wife, I was an occasional globetrotting guy as I was interested in traveling and other cultures, but I’ve been thinking lately that going solo is getting too lonely. To give some background, I am a white middle-aged male from Philly. I’ve been to many parts of the world including a handful of countries in Europe, some in Asia, but I’ve never actually been to Russia or Ukraine.
Since I’m an adventurous guy ready for anything, I tried traveling by going to the highly advertised “Romance Tours.” from a company called AFA, or A Foreign Affair. I was hesitant at first, because what if it was a covert operation for human trafficking? But the more I browsed their website, (for the curious, link is here) the more I found out that AFA Romance tours have been a thing for a long while so I gave it a go and chose Kiev for my first tour.
I’ll keep this brief, but basically, after a few months of preparation I was all set, booked and packed to go to Ukraine to meet as many women as I can. Going on this tour had me a few thousand dollars poorer but let me tell you that it was so worth it.
Tales of the beauty of Ukrainian women are not an exaggeration. There were a lot of them: blonde, brunette, red heads and what not. Even at varying ages, the women of Ukraine are almost on another plane of existence. It was like going to a modeling agency, except that they aren’t as unattainable. The best part is, I get to be introduced to all of them. I was nervous at first since I don’t speak a lick of Ukrainian, but I found out that there were plenty of translators on hand, so I could to talk with as many of them as I want.
When I saw my wife at first, there wasn’t a dramatic shaft of light from the heavens. In fact, she was the only woman who I wasn’t nervous to talk to. She had this grace and easy smile which I think put me at ease. There were other more beautiful or sexier women but when I first saw her, I just knew that I had to talk to her.
There were a few technical difficulties as she can only speak a bit of English which I found cute (she’s a little fluent now and I admire her that. I’m also learning her mother tongue ... Привіт!). A few drinks later and a very haggard translator, I learned that she was 26, well-educated, and an ophthalmologist at a local clinic in Kiev. Even though, we couldn’t speak directly with each other, we knew we had a connection. I just couldn’t stop staring at her.
After the socials, I asked for her personal details and we just started from there. I went to the States after the tour ended. While back in the USA, my correspondence with Olga went on for more than a year. I desperately wanted to see her, so I arranged for another trip to the Ukraine and this time on my own just to see her.
I planned to stay for more than a week so I could spend time with her. By that time, we were able to communicate on our own so we didn’t need a translator. I’m not a sentimental guy and I rarely use the word “magical” but that was what it was. Spending time with her over dinner, coffee or breakfast, was enough to evoke that feeling. That was when I knew that I want to spend the rest of my life like that. I proposed not long after. It’s been 8 years since then.
To all the guys who think that there is nobody for them, I highly recommend booking a AFA romance tour. It might change your life like it did mine. I never really got to thank the AFA guys for arranging my trip. I owe them a lot!

Nice story!

Nice Cinderella story indeed!

Expatriate health insurance in the Philippines

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in the Philippines

Moving to the Philippines

Find tips from professionals about moving to the Philippines

Travel insurance in the Philippines

Enjoy stress-free travel to the Philippines