Do's and Don'ts

We are visiting Cuenca next week and would like enjoy some input on manners, or the definate do's and don'ts in Cuenca.  We would not want to visit their country and offend in anyway (though that is probably not realistic).  Tipping, taking pictures, bartering is of most importance and anything else you believe to be helpful would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Terry and Lynn Neumann

Hi Terry and Lynn :)

I hope other members will respond to your topic with useful recommendations soon ;)

Regards
Armand

terryandlynn wrote:

We are visiting Cuenca next week and would like enjoy some input on manners, or the definate do's and don'ts in Cuenca.  We would not want to visit their country and offend in anyway (though that is probably not realistic).  Tipping, taking pictures, bartering is of most importance and anything else you believe to be helpful would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Terry and Lynn Neumann

Here tipping is included depending where you go. It's 10% mandatory. You could tip more if you wish, but it's not required. In other places you really don't need to bother tipping. 

As for taking pictures, you really should ask before. I think it's appropriate wherever you go. You wouldn't want someone to take a pic of you in your business/workplace. However, people don't mind when you take a picture of them.

Negotiating is a part of life here. Someone quotes you 10 dollars, say 4. And negotiate. ;)

Have fun in Cuenca ! and enjoy.

Thanks for the info,
Tipping and negotiating still confuses us, some say yes, some say no, but appreciate the input.  Your right about pics and we would have asked permission anyway.
We leave on Wed. and are looking forward to the experience.
Lynn

terryandlynn wrote:

Thanks for the info,
Tipping and negotiating still confuses us, some say yes, some say no, but appreciate the input.  Your right about pics and we would have asked permission anyway.
We leave on Wed. and are looking forward to the experience.
Lynn

Perhaps the people who mentioned they tipped are still set in their western habits. Which is ok, but I can assure you most Ecuadoreans ( including myself) rarely tip.

I do tip, however, when someone takes care of car. 25 cents. The guy who packs and brings my groceries to the car 25/50 cents. At restaurants I rarely tip, unless I received excellent service. It would be 1 or 2 dollars the most. As the 10% tip is included in some restaurants, it's really not necessary to tip again.

As for negotiating, I always do this with cabs, food market and outdoor commercial businesses. You can see that negotiating is part of life here in Ecuador by going to mercadolibre( it's like Ebay ) and see how posters try to negotiate the price down and/or barter with other products/cars/etc.

Thanks for the information you have shared about negotiating, taking pictures and tips.  My fiance' and I will be visiting Cuenca in a couple of weeks.  Good information to know.  Thanks!

Patricia

Terry and I appriciate all the info you all have provided.  Thanks so much it is very useful.

SOMETHING THAT I FOUND ON AN ECUADOR WEBSITE: Hope it helps.

Kissing: no need to kiss strangers, but in social settings a single kiss on the right cheek will do.

“No Hay”: a “jazz hands” wave with the right hand isn't a hello – it means “no hay,” – there isn't any – whether that's another seat on the bus, food in the kitchen or chips in the corner store.

Come Here: speaking of hands, when waving someone over, keep your palm toward your body and your fingertips pointing toward the ground.   For Americans this may feel a bit like the way one calls a pet, but rest assured, it is the way to call someone over in Ecuador.

Taxis: while the use of meters is obligatory in Quito, drivers consider $1 to be the minimum fare no matter what the meter says.   In other places negotiate the fare before getting in.   Tipping is not customary, although you may be lead to believe otherwise if you're an obvious foreigner.

Restaurants:   mid-level to upscale restaurants will tack a 10% service charge onto your bill (along with a 12% tax).   No need to add anything on top, unless the service has been exceptionally stellar – and in that case a dollar or two to indicate your appreciation would be fine.   Economical establishments do not usually include either tax or a service charge, and rounding up would be appropriate.

Hotels:   fifty cents per bag is plenty.

And while the tips below may not come up for tourists, they can come in handy for those who are moving to Ecuador:

Bag boys at the grocery store – 25 cents to a dollar is fine, depending on how many groceries they tote to your car and how generous you feel in the moment.

Gas station attendants – no tipping, unless they check the air in your tires – then a buck or so is fine.

When talking to (male) strangers, “joven” is a suitable way to address a youth (rather than muchacho), “maestro” for laborers such as carpenters, and of course “señor” is virtually infallible for all situations.

A chain of grocery stores called, “SuperMaxi,” has locations in most larger cities and towns in Ecuador.  They carry many of those things ex-pats crave but often cannot always get in other countries; things like peanut butter, olives