Citizenship...how easy is it

if i wanna acquire south African citizenship,what are the steps i need to take and what are the requirement.

You cannot simply apply for citizenship. If you have relatives who are South African or Permanent Resident holders, you may possibly apply for Permanent Residency (depending on the degree of kindship). Once you have Permanent Residency you would need to wait for 5 years before being allowed to apply for citizenship.

If you do not have relatives, you would need to start via a temporary residency route, e.g. a work visa.

Try for a work visa first

I am recently married to a South African citizen (April 2011) and have applied and received a Temporary Residance Visa (Relative Permit) though my Embassy. Should I have been in a position to apply for Permenant Residency from the beginning or do I need to wait 5 years?

brendancurran wrote:

I am recently married to a South African citizen (April 2011) and have applied and received a Temporary Residance Visa (Relative Permit) though my Embassy. Should I have been in a position to apply for Permenant Residency from the beginning or do I need to wait 5 years?

Hi

You will only qualify to apply for Permanent Residency once you have been married for 5 years.