Close

Legal advice needed

My mother in law is living in Spain and recently diagnosed with Alzheimer’s . Her property is shared 3 ways with her two sons . Can she transfer her third of the property to her sons without huge taxes so she can com3 back to England to her family . Also how would this be done ?

Any advice gratefully recieved

Hi,

I cannot tell you for sure the situation as the law changes from time to time+ but as you have not had any replies here goes !

Your mother-in-law could just go back to UK and live there but still be a part owner. 

There would be taxes if she were to transfer the property to the other part owners. I cannot say for sure what that would be but I would be inclined to ask a notary.  If you were to do it you must make the contract before a notary. They can draw up all necessary papers, so no need to employ a lawyer oif any type

I assume the lady has made a Will, so if she were to live in UK and do nothing at some time the Will would become active.   

There has been a change in inheritance tax laws, which will apply from 1st January, 2018, which would mean there would very little inheritance tax. Of course the heir/s would then have to re-register the property show who was / were the owners as from then..

Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

Regards  John

Very helpful to me John, could you give me a link to more information about the change in the law regarding inheritance tax. 

Thanks

Tim

I sent you a message

Agree. I would also like the link on the inheritance law change. Thanks.

Not sure if I can post the link, but I have PM'd it

Alzheimer’s  or similar.

If a person is not mentally competent to sign legal documents, that would create problems and is something which must be considered.

Got it. Thanks.

Expatriate health insurance in Spain

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Spain

Moving to Spain

Find tips from professionals about moving to Spain

Travel insurance in Spain

Enjoy stress-free travel to Spain