Close

CELTA or TEFL - and if TEFL, which one??

Dear All,

My name is Mariana Lobo, I am a 28 year old portuguese girl and I am looking for some tips from all the Certified English Teachers out there.

To tell you a bit about myself I have studied Social and Organizational Psychology and I have a vast array of international experiences - studying, volunteering and working. I have worked as a Team Leader, as an HR intern, as a SushiWoman, as an English Teacher to kids in Portugal. Well, I have wandered a bit I guess. I feel now it is time to take the risk and do this thing I have always wanted to do: get certified and go abroad, to teach & travel.

I am still in Portugal but strongly considering moving to Saigon art the end of the year, to teach English. I am sorting out whether it is best to take the CELTA or the TEFL Certification and, if I take the latter, would any of you advise on what is the best entity to take it with? There are hundreds of websites, different companies/entities providing the same certification under different conditions (online, combined, in person, etc.) and, of course, an absolutely crazy different array of prices.

I hope someone out there can help me with these two questions!!
Thank you in advance :)

Lots of Love,
Mariana

If you have read this forum at all, you must have come across discussions on the need to have a Bachelor's degree to hold a work permit and teach legally.   You say that you have "studied Social and Organizational Psychology" but fail to say if you obtained a degree.  If not, you need to start there instead of worrying about the pros and cons of CELTA vs. TEFL.

I might comment that even with a degree, you technically are not a native English speaker.  Your writing, with the exception of one misspelling most likely caused by autocorrect, does suggest a very high level of fluency.  Hopefully you have a degree as well.

Expatriate health insurance in Saigon

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Saigon

Moving to Saigon

Find tips from professionals about moving to Saigon

Travel insurance in Saigon

Enjoy stress-free travel to Saigon