Close

New from Msia - Electric Bike Queries

I just moved to Vietnam, HCMC from Malaysia and thought of getting an Electric Bike to move about around my residence to explore the shops around.

May I know how does it work?
- Do you need to pay for a parking spot (if yes how much?) or do I have to carry it up my unit?
- how do you charge it?
- What is the price range?
- Any recommendations on trustworthy bike shops that I should go to?

Thanks

Kind regards
Joo

I'm open to correction from local residents on this as my experience is in Indonesia but all the stuff I've seen is Chinese and of questionable quality. I've seen dead batteries with no hope of finding a replacement and the rear hub that includes the motor rusted to hell because the things aren't watertight.
Basically, I wouldn't recommend buying a Chinese built one unless they have any better quality models around in Vietnam we don't have here.

thanks for the info

Joo2Joo :

I just moved to Vietnam, HCMC from Malaysia and thought of getting an Electric Bike to move about around my residence to explore the shops around.

May I know how does it work?
- Do you need to pay for a parking spot (if yes how much?) or do I have to carry it up my unit?
- how do you charge it?
- What is the price range?
- Any recommendations on trustworthy bike shops that I should go to?

Thanks

Kind regards
Joo

As Fred said, all E-bikes in Vietnam are also either made in PRC or assembled in VN with parts sourced from PRC.
I've never used one myself. Hence can't comment on quality/brand etc.

On Vo Thi Sau street off Hai Ba Trung street in D3, there are many bike shops. Please google the exact location.

I've found an old thread (from 2012) where one poster recommended a shop on VTS street. You may wish to try your luck on that.
http://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=178067

As for price range this website can give you some ideas.
"Xe đạp điện" is the expression in Vietnamese for E-bike.

As for the parking fee, it depends on your landlord or property owner/manager and the area you are living in.
If you have access to elevator and enough space in your apartment (or a small balcony, may be), better to take your bike back to your unit rather than leaving it in the parking area unattended.

To know how it works, check some videos on the website I've shared and on Youtube.
Sorry I couldn't help you on the technical issues.
Let's wait for others with direct experience of e-biking in VN to make their inputs.

That’s loads to begin with. Thank you so much. At least help me to understand better how it works before i get one

Expatriate health insurance in Ho Chi Minh City

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Ho Chi Minh City

Moving to Ho Chi Minh City

Find tips from professionals about moving to Ho Chi Minh City

Travel insurance in Ho Chi Minh City

Enjoy stress-free travel to Ho Chi Minh City