New from Msia - Electric Bike Queries

I just moved to Vietnam, HCMC from Malaysia and thought of getting an Electric Bike to move about around my residence to explore the shops around.

May I know how does it work?
- Do you need to pay for a parking spot (if yes how much?) or do I have to carry it up my unit?
- how do you charge it?
- What is the price range?
- Any recommendations on trustworthy bike shops that I should go to?

Thanks

Kind regards
Joo

I'm open to correction from local residents on this as my experience is in Indonesia but all the stuff I've seen is Chinese and of questionable quality. I've seen dead batteries with no hope of finding a replacement and the rear hub that includes the motor rusted to hell because the things aren't watertight.
Basically, I wouldn't recommend buying a Chinese built one unless they have any better quality models around in Vietnam we don't have here.

thanks for the info

Joo2Joo wrote:

I just moved to Vietnam, HCMC from Malaysia and thought of getting an Electric Bike to move about around my residence to explore the shops around.

May I know how does it work?
- Do you need to pay for a parking spot (if yes how much?) or do I have to carry it up my unit?
- how do you charge it?
- What is the price range?
- Any recommendations on trustworthy bike shops that I should go to?

Thanks

Kind regards
Joo

As Fred said, all E-bikes in Vietnam are also either made in PRC or assembled in VN with parts sourced from PRC.
I've never used one myself. Hence can't comment on quality/brand etc.

On Vo Thi Sau street off Hai Ba Trung street in D3, there are many bike shops. Please google the exact location.

I've found an old thread (from 2012) where one poster recommended a shop on VTS street. You may wish to try your luck on that.
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=178067

As for price range this website can give you some ideas.
"Xe đạp điện" is the expression in Vietnamese for E-bike.

As for the parking fee, it depends on your landlord or property owner/manager and the area you are living in.
If you have access to elevator and enough space in your apartment (or a small balcony, may be), better to take your bike back to your unit rather than leaving it in the parking area unattended.

To know how it works, check some videos on the website I've shared and on Youtube.
Sorry I couldn't help you on the technical issues.
Let's wait for others with direct experience of e-biking in VN to make their inputs.

That's loads to begin with. Thank you so much. At least help me to understand better how it works before i get one

Can you clarify, Is it an e bike, e moped or e scooter you want info on?

At my apartment in HCM, the ebikes parked with the regular bicycles so I assume they had free parking.  That will surely vary from building to building so why not just ask the parking attendants or the building manager?

Some people charged theirs off of plugs that were in the garage but most removed the battery and took it up to their apartment for charging.   Taking the battery out may also serve as a theft deterrent too as a lot of thefts are crimes of opportunity and I am guessing that a replacement battery for a stolen bike may represent a good chunk of the value.

My accomadation had secured locked storage for tenants. When I've done moto tour around the country, EVERY place I stayed at,brought my moto in, locked it or secured it at night. So this is obviously a problem in Vietnam. That's why there is security wherever you go, restaurants, malls etc. Never leave your bike unattended  at night, bring it to your room, or inside at the very least.as far as the reliability, I can't comment on this.

Canman62 wrote:

My accomadation had secured locked storage for tenants. When I've done moto tour around the country, EVERY place I stayed at,brought my moto in, locked it or secured it at night. So this is obviously a problem in Vietnam. That's why there is security wherever you go, restaurants, malls etc. Never leave your bike unattended  at night, bring it to your room, or inside at the very least.as far as the reliability, I can't comment on this.

Another word of caution!!

3 years back went one morning for coffee at my then wife's coffee shop. Parked my bike (Honda Air Blade) on the side walk, put the front wheel in lock position, took out keys put them in my pocket & sat down at a table on the side walk not 3 meters away. Got my laptop out & got engrossed in what ever. Next thing ex wife came out screaming & the last thing I saw of that bike was it heading flat out down the street with then wife chasing after it in vain. I could not believe it, I was in total shock!!
Went to the local police station more in hope than conviction of getting the bike back. They just laughed & said the the chances of getting it back were basically nil & it would be in Cambodia by the next day. Seemingly thats where most bikes stolen here with no Blue owner card end up. Loved that bike too, ah well life goes on :sosad:

goodolboy wrote:
Canman62 wrote:

Another word of caution!!

3 years back went one morning for coffee at my then wife's coffee shop. Parked my bike (Honda Air Blade) on the side walk, put the front wheel in lock position, took out keys put them in my pocket & sat down at a table on the side walk not 3 meters away. Got my laptop out & got engrossed in what ever. Next thing ex wife came out screaming & the last thing I saw of that bike was it heading flat out down the street with then wife chasing after it in vain. I could not believe it, I was in total shock!!
Went to the local police station more in hope than conviction of getting the bike back. They just laughed & said the the chances of getting it back were basically nil & it would be in Cambodia by the next day. Seemingly thats where most bikes stolen here with no Blue owner card end up. Loved that bike too, ah well life goes on :sosad:

I'm somewhat surprised to hear that the police reacted like this. A friend of mine also had his scooter stolen, but he knew the thief's identity (it was a VN woman who had rented the scooter from him before, and after a couple of times she took off with it. He wasn't running a rental agency, it was a private transaction/rental). Either way, the police took him very seriously, the woman got arrested at the Cambodian border a few days later and he got his scooter back (probably had to give the cops some coffee money). They also told him she was going to jail for a 2-3 years.

Fred wrote:

I'm open to correction from local residents on this as my experience is in Indonesia but all the stuff I've seen is Chinese and of questionable quality. I've seen dead batteries with no hope of finding a replacement and the rear hub that includes the motor rusted to hell because the things aren't watertight.
Basically, I wouldn't recommend buying a Chinese built one unless they have any better quality models around in Vietnam we don't have here.

As always, you get what you pay for. If you don't have the technical skills to determine by yourself if a vehicle is of questionable quality, and what the specs mean, there are sometimes good reviews on YouTube and other internet sites. However some of them are paid for....
In my opinion, e-bikes and e-scooters are the ideal  mode of transportation for cities like HCMH, you just have to get a good one. With modern  batteries and a good quality build, I see no reason why not to go electric.

I have seen electric bikes that are passed down through family. They go forever. They are so much better now then a few years back.

So many here use them and park them as normal.

There are some really cute ones too, like old Vespas.  Most are the standard and have two teenagers on most of the day with no sweat. They are pretty nippy too.

Just like gasoline bikes ... some will be crap some not. Like anything. Due diligence is needed. Take it to a garage and have it tested before buying. One that is not 'recommended' by the seller.