Considering moving to Amsterdam with a family of 3

Hello folks,

I am currently based out of Dubai and have a family of 3 (me, my wife and out 5 months old). I am considering a job opportunity which is based in Amsterdam. For now only I will be working because my wife has her education in medicine and she will require some experience.

The position is that for a Project Manager for a mid size IT product Company having operations in Europe, USA and Asia. I have round 8-10 years experience in Business consulting and Project Management.

I have few quick questions:

1) What salary should I expect for the post ? (Gross)
2) What will the net salary look like after deductions (taxes) ?
3) Approx what should be the monthly expenses ?
4) Have anyone of you considered the Blue Card ? Is that the normal legal form for expats to move.
5) I am thinking of moving to Amsterdam , or generally Europe in long terms. I have my education from there. Do you thing Amsterdam is a good place to kick start ?

Your response in whatever detail will help.

Cheers,
Umair

smumair wrote:

Hello folks,

I am currently based out of Dubai and have a family of 3 (me, my wife and out 5 months old). I am considering a job opportunity which is based in Amsterdam. For now only I will be working because my wife has her education in medicine and she will require some experience.

The position is that for a Project Manager for a mid size IT product Company having operations in Europe, USA and Asia. I have round 8-10 years experience in Business consulting and Project Management.

I have few quick questions:

1) What salary should I expect for the post ? (Gross)
2) What will the net salary look like after deductions (taxes) ?
3) Approx what should be the monthly expenses ?
4) Have anyone of you considered the Blue Card ? Is that the normal legal form for expats to move.
5) I am thinking of moving to Amsterdam , or generally Europe in long terms. I have my education from there. Do you thing Amsterdam is a good place to kick start ?

Your response in whatever detail will help.

Cheers,
Umair

Hi Umair and welcome to the Forum. :)

At the top of the page is a link to our Handy Tools section; within this are many articles written that may help you plan your journey.

To try and answer your questions:

Salary.  Hard to be specific; however, there is a web-based organisation called "Glassdoor" that tries to pull the information together; they say the average salary is in the region of 65,000 euro p/annum.  This link will take you to their website.

Taxes,  There are 3 tax schemes to watch out for - mainly income tax, social tax and local taxes.  This link will take you to an on-line tax-calculator that demonstrates the income and social taxes.  There is one thing you can do to try and enhance your salary, that is to ask your future employer to see if they can apply the 30% tax ruling, that will add to your salary.  Local taxes depend on where you live; once you decide, Google will help you find out how much.

Expenses.  The Numbeo website helps there; this link will take you to the website.

Blue Card.  Depends if your job falls into a category that can't be done by a national of that country.  This link will take you to the Dutch Government (IND) website that explains the process in Holland.

Amsterdam.  Very expensive place to live; my advice would be to look outside the city for a place to live, you'll get much more house for your Euro.

Once you have read our guides, if you have any further specific questions, please come back to us.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hello Cynic,

I appreciate your detailed response. All these links are very handy.

I plan to go through the second level interviews this week so will take all these things in considerations.

Thanks a bunch, I will surely need some detailed info one I proceed.

Thanks,
Syed