Dos & donts in Austria

Thank you Armand

I would request forum members to provide me with the guidance on important aspects before coming to Austria.  I will be coming to Austria to commence with MSc. Kindly tell me dos & donts.

Hi rigmarole,

Welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I have introduced your topic as a new thread on the Austria forum for better visibility.

I hope that other members will give you some info about life in Austria very soon.

Wish you good luck
Christine

Thank you very much Christine

Hey!!!
I had the some question like you.
i had discussed it on (Moderated: 13 posts directing to similar links!!!)
Normally you can do what you want in Austria, that the people sad to me. The Austrians loves there manners. They love to say thank you and please. In restaurants they have normally a dish for themself, you pay for your own, too. They do not like when you clean your nose at the dish and they say not "Bless you" after you had  sneezed, it is not really important.
I hope I could help you
Maaike

Maybe it depends on whether you're in the city or the countryside. I've lived in the countryside village of Windischgarsten, Austria since last July. Here's my take on life here as a 37 yr old guy:

1. Be prepared to sit/talk at a restaurant table for at least an hour after the meal is done.

2. Peanut butter is hard to find, but it's here.

3. Middle aged women can be found with bright colors streaks in their hair.

4. As with any country, you won't be excepted until you learn the local language.

5. Be humble.

6. Coming from the U.S., be an expert on Arnold Schwarzenegger. The folks at my work make comments to me about him daily. You should also expect to explain why America does anything, well, that America does. You don't have to defend your home country, just listen and nod your head.

7. Smile and always tell people that their country is pretty and the people are great. Also, you will be asked to tell them whether America or Austria is 'better'. Just say they're equal and... smile.

8. People here love coffee, pasta, meat, beer and cigarettes.

9. The oil level in your diesel car should be checked more often than your gas car back in the States.

10. You can use your American drivers license for 6 months here. After that you will be expected to turn it in for one from Austria. Coming from the U.S. you won't have to take a driving test.

11. Not everybody will understand why the German language is not a required course in our schools. Just smile and nod your head.

12. You will be lonely in another country. This is normal.

13. Austrians are, in general, good people and will be interested in talking to you.

Yes,

I tend to agree with ghorton.  I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere (Freistadt) and it's different than the city.  A lot more..I wouldn't say close minded people but less wary people of other places outside of Europe...and maybe Thailand..apparently quite a few travel there as well.

Keep in mine, this country has been invaded, many times over thousands of years, but for the most part..because of the small population, there is a lot of country to live in.  City Austrians are more accustomed to different people and cultures...

In the country, at least where I am from, don't worry if they stare..they stare at everyone..even their own neighbors..not sure why...but they'll stare more if they know you aren't around..

1. Old people tend to greet you or say something at least if you walk by them

2.  yeah...refer to ghortons number 3  women tend to wear real heavy colours in their hair...sometimes extensions..but solid reds, greens, maroons..weird..  Also guys tend to think the fo-hawk actually makes them look good 8-)  It's not like the north american mullet though...you see Euro guys in general have this style..whereas the mullet is really a country thing.

3.  Stores close way earlier.

4.  There are many monthly parties and celebrations in small towns.

5.  Canned food are horrible and Frozen foods aren't great either

6.  Organic and fresh foods are top in Austria

7.  Austrians love their spas

8.  Everywhere you look there is either a furniture store (kitchen appliance, bedroom, bathroom) etc or sunglass/eyewear store

Hello steveto!

Thanks for these useful information.:top:

Harmonie.

Hello,

i am an austrian but i moved away one year ago.

I am sorry to tell you this, but the most of austrians dont lik people from other coutrys. dont move to the countryside, better to the city.

on the coumtryside tis hard to ge acsept from the other people, even a autrian.

if you have any questions, you can ask me everytime.

greetings