Close

TEFL to get started

Hi,
I am from the U.K. and have 2 degrees in Chemistry (Bachelor of Chemical Sciences and Master of Chemical Research). I got good grades but I am a fresh graduate with very little industrial chemistry experience.

I am really interested in working abroad, specifically China as it has such a huge economy especially with chemistry (plastics etc).
My initial plan was to work in England for a few years to gain experience and then look to move, but after circulating my CV and applying to various places in England I got a call from a company who want me to go do TEFL for them in Shenzhen.
I am wondering if it's a good idea to take the job to get my foot in the door and experience China, then try to transfer to a job related to my degree once I am already in China?

I have looked around online and apparently English teaching has quite a bad reputation, "loser back home", "sexpat" etc.
I am absolutely not like this, although it is not what I want to do for my whole life I would take my job very seriously and work hard at it, not wasting all my paycheck on alcohol!

So should I do TEFL to get my foot in the door or is it a waste of time?

1 - Ignore the twits and their childish name calling.
2 - Go for it and good luck....

I got a call from a company who want me to go do TEFL for them in Shenzhen.

.. but watch out for scams - a lot around.

Moving to China

Find tips from professionals about moving to China

Travel insurance in China

Enjoy stress-free travel to China