What's the dating scene like for middle aged, expat men in Mexico?

i'm newly single, 57, fairly fit, not great looking but ok. what are my chances of meeting up with and socializing with either expat or local women in the popular expat location like PV, Chapala, SMA, Yucatan? I've read on the internet (which is always 100% reliable of course) that in some of these places women outnumber men, and if you are single, not an a-hole, alcoholic, drug addict, etc. there's a good change many women are going to want to talk to you.

and advice please? what's the real story.

clearly, i'm asking out of my own self interest as a straight guy but if any ladies, gays, etc have anything to add, please do.

BTW, i'm an expat in Thailand at the moment where girls are throwing themselves at me all the time, but i suspect not because of my good looks. i'm not asking about finding a girl for a quicky, more about finding someone to be friends with and hopefully developing into a bit more.

also, i'm leaning Spanish now and hope to be reasonable fluent by the time i get to Mex

thanks

I live in Chapala. Was fairly newly divorced when I came down. Did't last more than 2 weeks without picking up someone. (or did she pick up me?). Still with here after 4 years!
Yes, it is true (at least in Chapala) that there are more women then men and I have seen lots and lots of hook ups in the time I have been here as there are so many divorced or spouse passed away people here.
You won't have any problems.

Interesting inquiry!    I plan to spend lots of my winter time in PV and thinking of starting up a site of my own for retired singles.   It's easy to make friends.  But dating and socializing takes some work.   It's always good to try day trips, bars that are not too crazy, and places that may be geared for older expats or snowbirds.

rmajijic wrote:

I live in Chapala. Was fairly newly divorced when I came down. Did't last more than 2 weeks without picking up someone. (or did she pick up me?). Still with here after 4 years!
Yes, it is true (at least in Chapala) that there are more women then men and I have seen lots and lots of hook ups in the time I have been here as there are so many divorced or spouse passed away people here.
You won't have any problems.

thanks for the reply, do you mind if i ask, is your partner expat or Mexican? when you say 'Yes, it is true (at least in Chapala) that there are more women then men', is that expat, Mexican or both?

thanks

My partner is an expat. She also came from Canada but she's from Ontario and I am from B.C. 
I am referring to expat women when I say that there are more women than men.
Many expat men have hooked up with Mexican women here too.

Bummer!    Guess I will have to find a Mexican partner!

rmajijic wrote:

My partner is an expat. She also came from Canada but she's from Ontario and I am from B.C. 
I am referring to expat women when I say that there are more women than men.
Many expat men have hooked up with Mexican women here too.

thanks, here in Thailand, expat men outnumber single expat women by i would guess 100:1

and rubytue60, i would love to meet up with you if we are in the same place at the same time. i'm making my big move in the fall of next year and planning to tour Mexico by motorcycle for 6 months first so i can get to know the different areas.

Have a wonderful trip.    I will be PV  for a month after Christmas.   Eventually, I plan on 4-6 months of the year.   By the way, if anyone out there can recommend a late-date place for three of us to stay, that would be great.    It is getting harder to secure an affordable place in town.   Will most likely have to resort to the resorts!    (hotel zone), which we do not want.

Arlene

From your profile, I don't think that you'll have any problems!!

The bigger problem is for expat women here who compete with the lower numbers of expat men and the local Mexican woman who would love to get their hearts into an expat!

I have resided in MX for ten years. As in Thailand, The Gringo Effect is opprend here. If you are respectful, resonably attractive and speak a modicum of Spanish you should not have any difficulties. There is one caveat, many middle aged single women have children. Rarely less than two.   One of the best ways to get an introduction is to befriend a MX family. They usually have large extended families;sisters, cousins aunts, friends. Church is another place. But, be sincere regarding the religous aspect. A large age differential,  as in Thailand, is not looked askanced.  I am old.  My novia, who is in her late 20's was visiting me. We were walking down my street, a one block dead end. (All the resdents are on speaking terms) A older female neighbor, spoke to me and said, in spanish, "Buenas tardes señor. No he visto a la senorita antes.  ¿Es ella tu hija?" I laughed, thought to myself, "Okay, you are there". I replied "Ella es mi novia" She laughed as well as a nearby male neighbor.

A long an essentially pleasant life has taught me:  Ladies like to be entertained.  No sitting at home with a bag of Eddie Redenbacher some dvd's and a six pack every Saturday.  And, no matter how loving a relationship is, sex and money matter

I previously lived in Mexico (Guadalajara) for five years.  I learned (formal study at a bilingual language school) to speak a conversational Spanish.
Yes, it's true that ex-pat men can date younger Mexican women.  BUT be aware that there are several downsides, which make me want to seek out ex-pat women close to my senior age, when I returned to live there.  On a more permanent basis.
1-sex is wonderful, but after the "honeymoon", you have to have seek enjoyment in conversation.  if she knows zero-only basic English, it is totally dependent on you to be able to communicate in Spanish in such a fashion that's both interesting to you and understandable to her.  in other words, if your Spanish is poor, you're going to become real bored, real quick.
2-just stated as fact that most Mexican women (meaning poorly educated women) don't have a real conversational spectrum of topics.  This starts to wear on you and you start to crave for interesting and stimulating conversation in ENGLISH.

There is a joke in San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato.

Guy is in a bar in SMA talking to a woman. He says "I just got out of prison in the USA so I decided to come down to Mexico."
She says "So you are single! Do you want to go on a date?"

So after seeing the tacky joke from SMA I think it would be a good idea to add a little reality.
Mexican women are totally different than American women. in many ways with the exception that many feel that dating is not getting a housekeeper position or a license to practice as a sex worker. Some American women speak English and Spanish as do many Mexican women.
Mexico has a continuing history of femicide and violence against women. Keep those things in mind when you are out cruising for likely "dates".

When in Rome. If you want to date local people there is ample opportunity.

@rubytue60 - hi I know this is an old post but wondering if you ever started the dating site.   My son lives all year in the Yucatan and I am invited come live.   Would be willing to do on my own but it'd be much more fun with a partner over time.   I love your idea of starting a site.  Lin

Maybe there is need for a nation wide expat meet up site for singles...I note there are some across the varying cities...I have thought about this, as I will be moving to Mexico hopefully by the end of the year and having ran singles groups before was thinking it might be a fab idea to get something the ground and get people connected...
@serendipity26689

Hello, thanks for the note. Plans are to frequent southern Baja again for an extended period 6mo-year beginning this August.

Always nice to meet new friendly faces while in an unfamiliar places. If you start a singles connect I would be interested. Thx, Steve

@serendipity26689

Hi

I just saw your idea about expat singles, I Have been living as an expatriate my whole life it started in dubai then england then canada and now in usa and soon I am thinking of retiring in riviera maya! I would love to start 50+ single expats group online or offline, i managed these groups in dubai canada as well :)

Now that's some interesting topic going on here1f603.svg

i am thinking the same i am a single lady adult kids in usa - originatlly from greek turkish region and would like to move to mexico (riviera maya etc) for my retirement or semi retirement i am 57 and thinking whom do i meet there? i am very global obviously would like to meet someone global and has connections in usa like me..