How safe is Naples?

I have heard and read mixed things about Naples? Is it safe?

Some say that it is the Detroit of Italy.

What do you think?

Hello there
I was born and brought up in Naples and now I am back after 30 yrs in South Africa and I can tell you that Naples is safe and vibrant and alive and beautiful.
Just keep your belongings safe and don't look lost...beware of pickpockets in trains etc but other then that the people are super helpful and the vibes are fantastic as the city is full of tourist and the police presence is felt everywhere.
Relax and enjoy your visit in Naples
:cheers:

Hi - I haven't been back to Naples in many years, but I agree with most of the above, Naples is ok during the day time, but ladies, do NOT wear any jewellery on show, necklaces, rings, bracelets to be removed! In fact don't carry a handbag as this too will be taken from you. Naples is full of thieves and crooks and the Camorra is as strong as ever! Try not to look like a tourist, and look as if you know what you are doing or at least know where you are going. The people are usually very friendly and helpful, and very easy going, but Naples is not for the squeamish or faint hearted, you need balls to walk the streets of this city, and that includes the women!  :-)

Hello, I visit Naples often and I can assure you that it is a very beautiful city with fantastic places to visit. For theft, logically, it also depends on what area you are in. Pay special attention to jewelry, wallet and watch.