Working in Mexico

Helo, everyone.

I am interested in moving to Mexico in the near future, and would like to know, if it's hard to get a working permit when you go with a tourist VISA, if you get the vompany to accept you within the six months, or you necessarily have to have it before going.

If you find a company willing to hire you, you will still need to return to the States to get a work permit.  The employer has to submit paperwork for your permit to start the process, but you still have to be in the US to get the approval and "nut" number to complete the process in Mexico.  Then there are 4-5 trips to the immigration office in Mexico to complete the permit process.

Hope that helps.

Does this apply if you are doing consulting or business over the internet?  Thanks.

That I don't know.

Okay, so basically this is going to Mexico to apply, then once hired, going back to the country to get the permission done, and back to Mexico for the process end??

Exactly!  I was fortunate in that I first took a "paid volunteer" teaching job in Mexico for 4 months, working on a travel visa.  While there I contacted several schools to see if they would be interested in my teaching skills and found one in Merida.  At the end of my 4 month teaching job, I came to Merida for the interview, was hired, and they started the work permit process.  I then returned to the US for a month visit with family, got that part of the process completed, and returned to Merida and went through the rest of the permit process.  Now that I have the one year work permit (renewable) other location options are available to me.  Renewal will still require an employer, but I won't have to return to the States.  This is only if you want to work in Mexico.  There are tons of expats here who have gotten residency permits (not work permits) and I am not familiar with that process.

Okay, thank you very much!

Hi you can't work with tourist visa, you need a job visa. I am immigration lawyer and I can give you a prepaid consultation via skype if you are interesting to know. My best regards Violeta Piza

Apparently you CAN work in a non-profit with a tourist visa as a "paid volunteer" for up to 6 months.  I know you are an attorney, but the "pain volunteer" position is completely within the law.

Hi, I am not an expert but my understanding is that you either have a visa with permission to conduct renumerated activities or a visitor visa without permission to conduct renumerated activities.

So, if I may suggest you contact the closest mexican consulate or embassy near your home and ask them what you are allowed, they are very helpfull and no cost attached. One thing sure, the process starts in your home country.

For your information, here is the link to the Mexican consulate in Montreal but the information is the same for all consulates.

https://consulmex2.sre.gob.mx/montreal/ … gners/visa

Adios y buena suerte para su proyecto, GyC .

1. You can not earn Mexican sourced income as a tourist.
2. You may earn foreign sourced income as a tourist.
3. Few employers will sponsor an expat and as noted process starts in Mexico but back to a consulate and then complete process in Mexico.
4. Contrary to what is posted you may not be a volunteer and be paid. Nor do I connect volunteer and payment.
5. You may enter Mexico with a pre-approved temporary resident visa; complete the process and then apply for a Permiso Para Trabajar Visa.

Moderated by Priscilla 6 years ago
Reason : No free ads here please + register in the business directory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Okay, so according to what I have in here, it would be possible to go as a tourist, seek employment within the standard time, and then proceed to get the correct papers for work permit?

Hi everyone. Is there a difference between a work permit and work visa?

Provided one has a work permit as sponsored by a specific company, does this allow the permit holder to also work for a 2nd company at the same time?

Does it allow one to change jobs and work for a different company?

I'm glad you asked this question and I look forward to hearing some informed responses.  I do know that my bank told me that if I leave the employer who sponsored my work permit, the bank will close my account.  However, I have been offered an ADDITIONAL, not leaving my current employer, position, which does not appear to be a problem.  However, since I did not take the additional work offer, I am not positive of the impact.

Voland90293 wrote:

Hi everyone. Is there a difference between a work permit and work visa?

Provided one has a work permit as sponsored by a specific company, does this allow the permit holder to also work for a 2nd company at the same time?

Does it allow one to change jobs and work for a different company?

This is a complex question, so I am referring you to a useful visa based source that might be able to direct you. https://www.mexperience.com/lifestyle/w … d-answers/

If you earn an income from work on internet inMexico paid in America, you should be ok. If you work and get paid in Mexico you should get advice from Sonia Diaz. Search internet.

I am trying to find work whether it's babysitting, dog sitting, housesitting, cleaning and waitressing in Mexico somewhere safe.

Hi please send me your email address to *** I am interested in a consultation
Thanks

Moderated by Priscilla 4 years ago
Reason : do not post your personal contact details on the forum