Close

get socialized with expats without becoming an alcoholic

Still preparing, wondering and considering. One complete other point:

When I will be arriving in Siem Reap, I will be more or less on my own. Now I am not the guy to get lonely very fast and I am pretty easy going and get friends. But, how does it work in Siem Reap?
Is there some kind of expat community, or is everyone living on their own? Do they live in certain neighborhoods or are they scattered around? I certainly want to go out once or twice a week, especially to live music bars. But do expats spent time together outside bars?

I am a 54 year old business man. So 80 year old retires and 20 year old backpackers will not be my friends.

Any suggestions or inside thoughts?

Hi James, although I don't know the SR expat community there are several general ways to socialize.

It's all up to you, the choice of venues is large, each to his own taste. Alcohol should not be an issue, as it does not bring friendship, socializing is not necessarily getting drunk together, but more exchange life experiences, knowledge, jokes, sharing places to go or events. All that can be done without alcohol. I myself don't use alcohol anymore, apart from the odd glass of red wine. It's a personal choice.

I would say go to SR first, get yourself a nice guesthouse to stay for a month and look around, talk to people, enjoy your time and learn about the community. It's the best way to find out, if you find a certain area that you like in particular, try to rent a house or apartment there, rent a motorbike if you think it would be comfortable, get accustomed and feel happy.

I wish you good luck! ;)

Expatriate health insurance in Siem Reap

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Siem Reap

Moving to Siem Reap

Find tips from professionals about moving to Siem Reap

Travel insurance in Siem Reap

Enjoy stress-free travel to Siem Reap