Where to visit as the first time in Indonesia

Dear Readers

Could you guys tell me where and whats the best option to visit this remarkable and complex country. I know that many Australians do visit and seem to love the island of Bali, although I havent been to Bali but love to hear anyone here if they could inform me about what the best option.

I come from the arts as a Painter, Ilustrator, Graphic Designer and amateur Photographer. I would love to photograph if I do visit the region and I also love swimming as well, so it would be a pleasure to hear about Indonesia in general.

Cheers
John

atrabrecha2015 wrote:

I come from the arts as a Painter, Ilustrator, Graphic Designer and amateur Photographer. I would love to photograph if I do visit the region

Indonesia is massive and has an amazingly diverse set of cultures and lifestyles from stinking rich city  businessmen to tribes in Papua that live in huts.
I've been here ten years and haven't even scratched the surface.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 3&p=19

An artist could live here for the rest of his life and never paint the same thing twice, or even see the same thing twice.

Locations depend on what you're interested in, my preference being street life but a scenic painter has a million views to work on ranging from massive active volcanoes to step farmed rice paddies.

Oh for the free time and lack of a nagging wife so I could get out and really explore.

Hi John,

If I may suggest you a city to visit a city is Yogyakarta, in Central Java. Knowing you loving art and a painter. It's only 45 minutes flights away from Jakarta.

Yogyakarta is a special region because the kingdom is still exsist. You can visit the palace, temple (i.e. Borobudur and Prambanan). Visiting the art village where you can stay in local people house and learning some local crafts :)

Hope it helps, cheers...
Andri

It really depends on what you want to see and how much time you have? Do you prefer culinary or cultural experience? Beaches or hiking volcanoes or see orang utan/komodo? somewhere near the city or at least you can get Wi-Fi or kind of exploring jungles and off the beaten path??

Bali is a good place to start, it's an Island and don't just stick in Kuta area, or you might not find anything other than bars and crowded beaches. A lot of tourists from Australia go to Bali as point d'entry and then go to the West (Java), or go to the east (Lombok, Labuan Bajo, Flores, Komodo Island).

batik niwasana wrote:

Hi John,

If I may suggest you a city to visit a city is Yogyakarta, in Central Java.

Yep, lovely city with a good art scene and a lot more.