Close

Able to be a pensionada on SSDI with reviews

Hi everyone! I'm a 29 year old single women on SSDI in the US. I currently receive $1063 a month in SSDI payments but my disability is subject to periodic reviews (every 2 to 5 years), but has been consistently re-approved every review period. I'm looking to apply for residency as a pensionada but am worried about the "pension" source required to be for a lifetime. Is there any way around this? For example, by the time I would have to re-apply for my residency it would be clear that my SSDI was approved again or not. I have always wanted to leave the United States and for many reasons Costa Rica is the ideal location for me. I've been doing research for years and I already speak near-fluent Spanish. If anyone knows of any ways exceptions can be made for this I'd love to hear from you. Basically because I am so young, the US government wants to semi-regularly check in on my disability status hoping that I will get better or a cure will be found at some point in my lifetime. However, my doctors continue to maintain that I am disabled and will be for the foreseeable future, hence why my SSDI re-evaluations are continually approved.

Thanks!

Sorry to say, no, your pension wouldn't be accepted and this amount would provide you  with a very tight budget.

Expatriate health insurance in Costa Rica

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Costa Rica

Moving to Costa Rica

Find tips from professionals about moving to Costa Rica

Travel insurance in Costa Rica

Enjoy stress-free travel to Costa Rica