Is it best to get a local account?

Hi All

Am fairly new to the site, just wondering if it is better to be paid into my UK account or get a local account? I already have UK accounts with Barclays and Citibank. Do they have any branches in Abu Dhabi, I know they do in Dubai but never been to Abu Dhabi before and moving across in a couple of weeks. Thanks in advance :)

Welcome on board Angelina Ballerina ;)

Barclays does has branches and ATM dispenser in Abu Dhabi. Here are their location.

Regards

Hi Angelina,

HSBC widespread bank in the world. Their slogan "Your Local Bank in the World".

I don`t like Citibank !!!

Anyway goodluck !!!

I believe that if you open a local account is better you can get miles for the Local airlines ;)

Angelina Ballerina wrote:

Hi All

Am fairly new to the site, just wondering if it is better to be paid into my UK account or get a local account? I already have UK accounts with Barclays and Citibank. Do they have any branches in Abu Dhabi, I know they do in Dubai but never been to Abu Dhabi before and moving across in a couple of weeks. Thanks in advance :)

Depends on your tax liability in the UK.

But I would have said better to be paid into a local AED account.

All of the banks in the UAE offer the same poor level of service, so perm any one from several. Citiwank have ATM's but few branches, Boerclays are primarily a commercial rather than a personal w@nker.

Can someone tell me if you have a contract for 20,000 AED and 20,000 housing allowance monthy will you get 40,000 AED in your account every month with nothing taken out.

Does anyone use USAA for banking in UAE? What is a good local bank in Abu Dhabi to get for depositing paychecks and saving?
Thank you.

There are many international banks (HSBC, Standard Chartered, Citibank, etc) and a bunch of local banks.  All are nearly same, though international banks give you a sense of relatively being more safe.