Fathers rights in Vietnam

For those contemplating becoming a father here in Vietnam and having a child with a Vietnamese wife beware. You as a father have no real rights under the Vietnamese Family Law. Before all the legal beagles get their panties in an uproar allow me to explain. Yes, Family Law here says the father has the right to visa the child if the couple become divorced to separated. This is indeed true. However their is no mechanism to enforce the fathers right. So if you go to visit your child and she refuses to let you see them, you are shit out of luck. The police will do nothing and the courts will do nothing. Up until the age of 3, visiting the child is your only hope. The courts will NOT give you shared  custody, before the age of 3, under any circumstance other than proving mental incapacity of the mother. This must be proven by a hospital. At the age of 3 the court can give the father partial custody. But again there is no mechanism to enforce the court order. The only hope is to wait until the child turns 9 and then they can decide who they want to live with. Heck by then they may not even know you are their father.
Sad but true. Here they think men have no abilities to care for a child. And to be honest I can see their point if your speaking of the Vnese men here. Many of whom you would have to pry away from a bar or a night out with the boys to care for a child.
And as a sidebar, if anyone is looking for an excellent English speaking VNese attorney PM me and I can put you onto the best I have come in contact with.

Thanks for the info

Stop giving the mother money and watch her change her tune. Money speaks in VN, and unless she is from a wealthy family this will usually work.

Could you please give me the contact information for the English speaking vietnamese lawyer?

jantroubadour wrote:

Could you please give me the contact information for the English speaking vietnamese lawyer?

I do know a couple of lawyers in Saigon but to be honest I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them if I was involved in divorce. Nor would I trust any judge in Vietnam. I know a couple of those as well. In fact one of them ad divorce judge, emigrated to America because she was sick ad tired of applying Vietnam law in cases where one party to the divorce has few rights.

You need to sit down and have a good hard think about things before throwing money away on lawyers to try to get your non existent rights via the legal system in Vietnam.

eodmatt wrote:
jantroubadour wrote:

I do know a couple of lawyers in Saigon but to be honest I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them if I was involved in divorce. Nor would I trust any judge in Vietnam. I know a couple of those as well. In fact one of them ad divorce judge, emigrated to America because she was sick ad tired of applying Vietnam law in cases where one party to the divorce has few rights.

You need to sit down and have a good hard think about things before throwing money away on lawyers to try to get your non existent rights via the legal system in Vietnam.

Not only for a Divorce case, but I also would never trust any Vietnamese lawyer who can speak English.

I have chosen one lawyer and his company to be our company legal adviser, what he suggests to always halfway, once we knew he was wrong and he advises us to do another way but everytime he gets enough money from our company. We have got so many inquiries from many layers, but they all just want to see our money, that's all

Thanks for the info, exactly what I was afraid of. It seems I will have to 'buy' my son.

You are correct.

It'll either be by instalments or a lump sum. Your attachment will be used against you

Sad situation but facing reality is the first step in reaching a satisfactory end result