Online shopping in South Africa

Hello everyone,

Shopping online can be far more convenient and offer greater choice than going into shops, be it grocery shopping or retail.

Are there options for online shopping in South Africa? Which sites or apps do you use most frequently and are these local or international?

Are there particular products that are cheaper to buy online or that are perhaps not available in South Africa?

What is the delivery process like — is it easy to receive deliveries and what are the costs of shipping? Are there any taxes to pay upon receipt?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Delivery costs are the biggest issue in South Africa, second to long delivery times. After all this is Africa !!! Security seems to be under control with couriers using best practices.

I enjoy shopping online because it is easier to browse than in shops. Sometimes when you go into some grocery stores, they might not have enough stock on hand. Most grocery stores offer online shopping and also can deliver for you, however you don't get to choose the right pick (for vegetables and fresh fruits for instance). These are Pick n Pay and Woolworths.

If you are into gourmet items for food, and have a healthy and conscious lifestyle, you might enjoy shopping online at Faithful to Nature, Wellness Warehouse, Soon skincare.

There are also various artisans making exquisite jewellery, furniture, food items, skincare and cosmetics that sell mostly online. Best place to find them is Instagram - check what's available and buy from there.

I would not really advise in shopping online internationally, unless you are buying something digital which you receive instantly. The last few times I ordered clothes from U.K, it cost me more in customs duties than the actual products! It also takes very long to arrive South Africa in some instances. I am waiting for an eco-friendly phone case from USA for over a month now!