Online shopping in Egypt

Hello everyone,

Shopping online can be far more convenient and offer greater choice than going into shops, be it grocery shopping or retail.

Are there options for online shopping in Egypt? Which sites or apps do you use most frequently and are these local or international?

Are there particular products that are cheaper to buy online or that are perhaps not available in Egypt?

What is the delivery process like — is it easy to receive deliveries and what are the costs of shipping? Are there any taxes to pay upon receipt?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

I know two websites which I tried and were somehow ok. There is https://egypt.souq.com/eg-ar/ and https://www.jumia.com.eg/ For grocery shopping there is Alfa Market http://www.alfa.com.eg/ but I never tried it before.

Moderated by Chris 6 years ago
Reason : Advertising of services and products is not allowed on the forum. Please register in the business directory.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Btech egypt web site.
I bought a coffee machine then a vaccume cleaner. Prices are more attractive than in the same physical shop but a delay of  one or two days after the delivery date may be expected . The good point is that you may only pay upon delivery.

I wonder if I shop at amazon.co.uk my stuff will arrive... or will it get stuck at the customs and I'll have to pay a lot? or will it disappear?

You can replace it with egypt.souq.com. It's owned by Amazon

thanks, unfortunately it has not the products I need

I tried Amazon to buy some books I needed. They arrived well but you pay customs of course. But this was 4 years ago. Is it hard to find what you need here instead?

My experience with local online shops in Egypt is very positive. So far, no single issues with Jumia, seif online, drinkies, gourmet. Reasonably good delivery time, safe - pay once delivered.
Never use international online shop with delivery to Egypt. Don't want to bother with duty and custom.

I have used online shopping on several occasions and have always received my goods. I have used  Souq and Juma
Some of the items I have ordered have been quite expensive - well over over $500 and I was a bit wary of using these sites and paying for my goods first. However you don't have to pay for your goods first, You can pay on delivery. Both sites are well laid out in English and easy to negotiate. The only criticism I have of both sites is their delivery times which seem to be rather long - usually over one week. They use a delivery service  and even though you pay for delivery to your door the delivery service tries to make you collect your goods. It took me several I irate phone calls after I'd been kept waiting for my goods and had found out that they had been with the delivery service for three or four days, before they would deliver to my door. That is the only criticism I have and I cannot say that everyone will have this problem.
Tony

I tried Jumia service and canceled. Jumia is a nightmare! Never again. I ordered on Souq.com and received what I ordered in the time specified under 10 days right to my door. I've since discovered other places that have the things I want ..the difference is I have to go get them vs. The delivery to my door option with souq! I love Egypt!

Don't worry, it's easy to deal with it. You can place an Amazon order via a mediator like edfa3ly

I bought a lot of thing online in Egypt which is quite amazing  because you pay cash at the delivery  , it is in English but keep in mind that the deliverer doesn't speak English and doesn't have patience or a watch to come on time (the delivery can come between 9am -21 pm)
ordering food throught Otlob apps.
Items that i can't find in shops throught Souq.com.
Items from overseas trought Ubuy.com (they want online payment) and otherwebsite that does international shipment ( you may have extra fees)

There are many sites that I use, but since I adore electrical appliances and buy everything new, I use
[link moderated]/
It is a local site ... and buying online in Egypt is cheaper in terms of some discounts on products and free shipping

https://grouhy.com/