Moving to Port Louis from India, Need your suggestions

Dear Friends, I am moving to Port Louis from Delhi, India. I am self employed person. I am having more then 18 years of experience in the repairing of Desktop PC and Hp Printers. I don't have any job in Mauritius yet but I am moving. My Wife a English Teacher with 12 years of experience. Please suggest me about cost of living, cheap and best place to live, potential city for my job profile etc...We are vegetarians, will this effect our cost of living. We believe in simple but peaceful life style.   

Please suggest

How are you moving if you dont have a job?
I was there in Mauritius this year and my AirBnb host had laptop issues. Repairing takes time. Spare parts aren't that easily available. Things have to be ordered from Europe.
Im a vegetarian too. Its not difficult but veggies are more expensive than India and restaurants have veg items on the menu but very limited.
I will suggest to stay north of Port Louis in Triolet or Terre Rouge as these maybe cheaper and have all amenities in the vicinity.

Hi,

You can't be moving to Mauritius if you don't have a Work Permit or an Occupation Permit. And to get any of these, you will need either a job or you are investing money or you are engaging in self-employment,

This is were you should start first of all.

HELLO ABHAY,
Thanks for your feedback. Yes, at present I don't have a job in hand but I am trying hard to get one. I hope I will secure very soon. And second thanks to informing me about the market situation (Specially Spares availability), I think this will help me to understand the need of the market. Here in India, we professional can do work as freelancer, I mean on call to call basis from our home or a small office. Is it possible over there or people are brand conscious?

Please suggest me.

Thanks n regards

Yogesh Sethi

Mr WinstonH,

Thanks for your reply.  Sir, I am not coming to Mauritius without the permission of authorities. Although We Indians don't need visa to visit Mauritius. I know Sir, I am not coming to Mauritius for any leisure trip so I am already in the process of to get the work visa. I am a law abiding person, I am not going to break any law.

Sir, I a worked for few companies for ten years and from last five years , I am a self employed person. So I am not worried my survival in any where in the world. apart from this I am capable to invest a respectable amount to start a small scale venture. So I have plenty of options on which I am working. I am searching for job plus planning to visit your wonderful country to explore the possibilities and of course to meet you, if you permit me.

Please guide me sir.............

Yes one more thing, my wife is English Teacher. She is in this profession from last 14 years and having very command on English language. Is there any hope for her job too. Please suggest.......

Best Regards always

Yogesh Sethi

Being vegetarian in Mauritius is no problem. You just need to go to the market, buy your vegetables and cook at home. All street food snacks are vegetarian also.

Your biggest hurdle is cost of living in Mauritius is high. I would say basic rent is about Rs 8000 per month and food/shopping at its most basic would be Rs 4000-5000 monthly.

To be comfortable put aside Rs 18-20k monthly for expenses (rent, food, bills, etc).

Computer repair work is probably about Rs500-Rs1000 per job.

Best place for you to live is probably south of the island as rent will be cheaper there. People also speak Hindi in Rose Belle, Mare Tabac, New Grove area.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your reply Sir,

Details provided by is very much helpful to me. Two more suggestions I required from you.........

1. Which area of island has more potential for my job.
2. Second My wife is English Teacher and teach secondary classes. Is there any possibility for her job too. She has a very command on english and in the same profession since 2004. What is average salary of a english teacher?

Please suggest..

Hi,

We lived in MU for 2y and our kids attended Lighthouse Primary just outside Grand Baie. It is such a great school! They have since expanded to a high school as well. I would suggest that your wife contact the school and other schools.

You can get info and contact details here:

www.primaryschoolsinmauritius.org

All the best!

Thanks Lizelle Botha for your suggestion. It means a lot to us. 

Regards always

Yogesh Sethi

Yogesh Sethi wrote:

Mr WinstonH,

Thanks for your reply.  Sir, I am not coming to Mauritius without the permission of authorities. Although We Indians don't need visa to visit Mauritius. I know Sir, I am not coming to Mauritius for any leisure trip so I am already in the process of to get the work visa. I am a law abiding person, I am not going to break any law.

Sir, I a worked for few companies for ten years and from last five years , I am a self employed person. So I am not worried my survival in any where in the world. apart from this I am capable to invest a respectable amount to start a small scale venture. So I have plenty of options on which I am working. I am searching for job plus planning to visit your wonderful country to explore the possibilities and of course to meet you, if you permit me.

Yogesh Sethi

Sorry to butt in.
I don't think that WinstonH meant any disrespect.
In your OP , you said you are "moving" to Mauritius and yet, neither you nor your spouse has a work permit or occupation permit ( hence no employment)  to make you eligible or entitled to take up residency ( hence moving to island).

Do you know the rules and regulations to work and live on the island as an expat or non-citizen?

That's what  WinstonH is implying.

Here is a link:
http://www.investmauritius.com/work-live.aspx

Affirmative: It would be a good idea to come and visit so that you can explore whether there are opportunities for the both of you and to get acquainted to employment and residency  policies of the government vis-à-vis foreigners.

BTW: This link is edifying:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=714237

Thanks for your reply and suggestions.

Sir, I know very well that Mr Winston hadn't any intention to disrespect. I gave him a clear view of my current situation, so friends like you, can help me to reach the island.
See you sent me links to understand the real possibilities.
Thanks for your support.

Regards always