Moving to Cebu City

I am planning to move to Cebu city, I have never been to Phillipines but have done lots of research, I use to date a Filipino not anymore.

I get $1800 from Social security and have some money in savings, I debating on Cebu City or Tagatay.

I like to rent a furnished flat 2 bedroom in a nice place for less than $1000.

Any advice will be appreciated.

I don't like Manila its too crowded. I am open to other places too.

Thank you

+***

Moderated by Chris 6 years ago
Reason : Please avoid sharing your contact details on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi asifkhan75025,

Welcome to Expat.com

You may browse the adverts listed under the Housing in Cebu section, you may find something that suits your needs. Feel free to subscibe and submit your own advert as well under the above mentioned section to increase your chances of finding a suitable accomodation quickly and be notified when new properties are listed.

Good luck

Chris
Expat.com

You have never been here and you are moving here?????

So you live in Dallas, TX and have never been to the Philippines, yet you are planning to move there, hmmm.  Have you ever been out of the U.S.?  I would suggest that you plan to visit first before making a permanent move, as you may be in for quite a shock.

YES That s what I am planning to go there and check it out in December

Good advice from ChuckG .... and good idea to visit in December. 

When in December will you be there?  I will be arriving on Dec 22 (I think).  I plan to re-locate to Cebu City in a couple of years, but already I have made eight visits over there.  If you like, we could meet up.

SOunds Goos

I'm kicking around the idea of moving to Cebu.  I'm still working and need to earn a living though.  So looking at investments and opportunities like many others, it's very different from moving as a retirement plan.  I do like the rural mountainous areas southwest of Cebu City and I think that might be a good place to split the difference between crazy traffic and a relaxed lifestyle with urban convenience.

SOunds good, I am retired no investment for me

Cebu is a great choice.  But before starting business first try to live here 6 or more months.  Online research only is a good base. But not about their daily thinking,  workouts... Living here is different.  Switch the way of thinking and habits.  There are good and less good people.  Like everywhere. Philippines is Fee lippines once u decide to live here. U will discover a lot.  Get a tourist visa,  book flight to here,  also return ticket,  coz it's an obligation... U will discover,  the feelippines welcomes ur money,  not ur skills or abilities. Or a decent way to own somethings. Then u understand u have to fight a way to achieve things. All is possible,  but never in a common way we are used to follow.  But get wisrly help from sir dollar,  euro,  visa,  maestro and MasterCard.

Dumaguete...Cebu sucks unless you like heavy traffic, lots of people and a high cost of living.

Cebu:
I see a beautiful city and a brilliant people rising from this abyss. I see the lives for which I lay down my life, peaceful, useful, prosperous and happy. I see that I hold a sanctuary in their hearts, and in the hearts of their descendants, generations hence. It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known.
Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities

Charles Dickens ....... When was he here?

Cebu is becoming like Manila now due to traffic and increased population. I live here but I want to move out! Haha

Doesn't sound like the Cebu that Charles Dickens described. Seems that overpopulation is killing the romance.

I need a surgical mask in Cebu ,  typhoons and rain to get a breath of fresh air on Lapu Lapu

Aloha everyone,

I am Filipino born and raised and Cebu and moved to the U.S when I was 19 joined the army and now I got medically discharge which sets me up for retirement. My husband and I are going to visit this June so that we can decide then if Philippine living is what we  want. The cost of living compared to what we pay here in Hawaii can make a big difference. I will be looking on rentals and houses for sale. I hate the fact that some local Cebuano will take advantage of some foreigner that wants a change of lifestyle, living a stress free life. My husband is an American and I would hate seeing him get rip off from some locals. The great advantage for us is that I am from Cebu and know the language with a foreigner mind set. That being said I will make it my goal not to get a lot of foreigners get ripped off or lied too just because they don't know the language. Just my thoughts:)

Hi dear lady,

I'm a Belgian (Carl) living in Cebu. Ur husband should not be afraid of such a things. If nobody visits some more dangerous neighborhoods or go into nightlife, people are pretty ok here. I almost live here 1 year, and i enjoy the people every day. My wife is a lovely Filipina and with her support i learned a lot. Just take time to 'adjust', meet the people and let him learn about the delicious foods, the habits, and daily life. The way we treat people, the way they treat us. The country is great but tell him not to rush things, take time... Arrange a good health care, and other things he will know in time. As a matter of fact, ur decision is brave, the adventure is huge, but very rewarding, if he respects the culture and works out a daily attitude, related to the people of this magnificent country.