Which Colonia outside of Centre is best?

Hi everyone. My name is Renee.  I am a retired RN in Texas. I'm new to this site and I am just beginning to explore my options of expat-ing to San Miguel. I plan to visit San Miguel in Dec or Jan. with my boyfriend. My question to all of you who already live in San Miguel is this: which Colonia is the safest and offers the most conveniences and access to centre for someone with only about 300,000 to spend on a house? My priority is to have a beautiful home in an area that allows me to meet lots of new people and develop true friendships and become part of the community in San Miguel. I don't want to be so far out of the city center that I miss the opportunity to be immersed in the day to day life and culture of the town. Or is this not an issue? Any and all insights from the current residents are welcome. Please educate me. It will help me know how to explore on my visit there. Thank you in advance and I hope that I get to meet some of you one day.

Hi Renee,

My name is Melanie and I have lived in SMA for the past 7 years.

A great resource for information on colonias in San Miguel is Greg Gunter.  He is one of the top real estate agents in town and is very knowledgeable about the ins and outs of the SMA neighborhoods.

Some of the things I would add to your list of important items include:

1. Noise - The closer you are to church bells and plazas, the noisier it gets.

2. Access to bus lines - If you don´t have a car, it may be good to be near bus lines.

3. Neighbors - There are colonias where there are primarily Mexican, mixed and primarily Expat neighbors.

4. Access to services - Make sure the neighborhood you choose has:

a constant flow of water (some neighborhoods have water problems)
is close to a cell phone tower
has Internet services (TelMex or Mega Cable).

Best of luck with your move!
Melanie

Moderated by Chris 6 years ago
Reason : Advertising is not allowed.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Moderated by Chris 6 years ago
Reason : Advertising of services and products is not allowed on the forum. Please register in the business directory.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Thank you Melanie. I will definitely be interested in exploring health insurance and healthcare in San Miguel. I'm excited about my new life goal. It will be people like you that will make it worthwhile! Gracias!

Thank you Greg. I will email you my phone number and you may call me at your convenience. I'm sure you will be a wonderful resource.

Renee good questions as to where. Please take your time and explore areas. Often we see people wanting close to centro only to move one or more times. On weekends centro is very busy and noisy.

Guadiana is one recommended colonia. Personally we live further out past new hospital, mall, best private school, 12 minutes to centro, clean air, low crime, quiet and 1/4 acre.

Greg and Melanie come highly recommended.

Happy to help.

Sonia