How much to charge labour.......

Hi guys,

I am looking to setting up as a builder/carpenter/handyman here in Asker and was wondering if anyone has any experience on how much I should charge out for my labour per hour?

I was a self employed builder in the UK/East Africa for over 25 years, but looking at some of the labour rates being offered here by companies, is causing me a little pang. It is either similar or less than I would earn as a builder in the UK!

So, taking on some private work seems the best option. I always targeted top end work in the UK as I like to produce work to a high standard and would be looking to do the same here, if at all possible.

I am planning a little 'promo' drive locally and want to be competitive with my prices.

Anyone hired a handyman lately, and if so what did you pay him/her?? The spread I have seen so far is mind boggling, from 100 to 500 kroner per hour! Surely there must be a common average (in the UK it would, for example, vary from £140 to £175 as a ballpark figure. More in the South, less in the North.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to drop me a quick note.....
Hilsen
Ian

Hi Ian :)

I hope you will get some helpful advices from other members soon ;)

Have a great day
Armand

Thanks Armand, me too!

I guess that most people employ a tradesman at some point, so I'm just looking for an idea on rates.
Cheers
Ian

Hey,

First of all it depends whether you do that officialy with invoices and VAT or not ... of course one should not do the latter.
1) so if you are paid cash without invoices, the average rate is between 120-150 NOK, depending of the skill of the person and the type of job
2) with invoice the range also varies a lot, 400 to  500 NOK seems to be the norm. including VAT of course.

This price range is for Oslo, should not be so much different in Asker ;)

Thanks ANDuM,

Seems about what I hear. It seems as if there is an 'official' unofficial 'black' market here. Even the guys at NAV talk about it!

It didn't exist where I lived in the UK. Sure, some guys would reduce their rates by 20% and not charge the VAT etc but that is not what is happening here is it?

It is a multi level system here, with illegal/unregistered/uninsured/questionably skilled/non tax paying people doing some work for 150nok and then some different men, the opposite of the above charging the 4-500nok per hour.

It's interesting. I wonder how people have someone work on their (very expensive) house, knowing that in a few months that tradesman will be going home, possibly forever? Seems risky to me but then the difference in price between 150nok and 500nok is incredible.

Personally I find the labour @ 500nok per hour mind boggling. I regularly used to large jobs in the UK that would take 8 or 10 weeks. Here that would have added up to a 200,000nok bill, just for me alone. Add the other labour and materials.....who on earth could afford that?

Time to start dropping in a few leaflets :-)