Vehicle modification limits in the Yucatan?

Hi Everyone, we are seriously looking at retiring to the Progreso area and one of the decisions is what to bring with us.  We have a modified street legal jeep that i would love to have for exploring but I can't find anything on the laws in Mexico about lifted vehicles.
  Does anyone know where I could find this information?

the jeep is a 1991 YJ with dana 44's, 35 inch tires and a chevy V8

Being an American car would be your first hurtle, and it's a big one. If it's okay to bring, I'm not sure how they might price the import tax to get the needed permit.

When you reach the stage when you are thinking about becoming permanent, if it is an allowable import, it could become and interesting target for some people building their own cars and cartels if you cross in certain areas.

So there would be a number of ifs and therefore things to look at.

I would start by just checking out the import on the basic vehicle What would be the import sticker price for a 91 jeep. I know you are proud of all of that, but the tires are the only thing that might stand out. You will need that import sticker and Mexican insurance.

from what I have found the vehicle will not be the issue, its about to be 30 years old which puts it in the classic category of allowable import.
  I don't intend to drive it down, it can't be done in a single day and it would be a high target for thieves!  I will ship it down, keep it inside our compound and only use it for running around exploring.  we will have a nissan sentra for trips into merida.
  I know I should just give it up but I have had it a long time and am irrationally attached (Of course I am still waiting on a shipping quote which may unattach me)

Mytzlflick wrote:

from what I have found the vehicle will not be the issue, its about to be 30 years old which puts it in the classic category of allowable import.
  I don't intend to drive it down, it can't be done in a single day and it would be a high target for thieves!  I will ship it down, keep it inside our compound and only use it for running around exploring.  we will have a nissan sentra for trips into merida.
  I know I should just give it up but I have had it a long time and am irrationally attached (Of course I am still waiting on a shipping quote which may unattach me)

Know the feeling, I had a 2005  S-4 Audi. The last model with the R8 engine. It would never be legalized , so I drove it back and forth for 2 years.
Things got taken off of it, and finally a big storm passed through and it sort of drown, the Mexican insurance stalled it wouldn't cover it, the seats rotted while I waited. the insurance didn't call or say  it was a write off so they  fixed some of  it after it sat 3 months in Merida.

The car could have been restored , and it was partly restored, but I took it to the states ( drove it) and sold it. The leather seats were shot but the core of the car was still good. I lost half of the value of the car. But have no problem with my Mexican Mazda. Cops don't stop me , I found a garage and all is well.