Where do you go to register to pay tax

Hi everyone
I am now going to need to pay tax in malta, can anyone help by telling me where I need to go.

Welcome on board bemused ;)

I hope that other forumers will bring their input & advices on this taxation query soon.

Regards

You go to the Inland Revenue Department in Floriana (unless you're in Gozo, in which case there's an office in Victoria).  Details here: http://www.ird.gov.mt/openinghours.aspx

You might find this form useful: http://www.ird.gov.mt/downloads/other/e … s_form.pdf

I guess possibly you could do this by post, though I turned up in person myself. There were no queues, and the staff were helpful and didn't ask many questions.

I guess you already have a Maltese ID card? You'll need one. Your tax ref is your ID card number.

Hope that helps. Welcome to the forum!

I am an EU member and i became working on February on Malta (full time job)

Do i have to do anything related to tax paying or my employer will substract the taxes from my wage?

In my country(Spain) Your employer substracts the taxes from your wage and you usually don't have to worry about this.

Thanks

Good point. I'm not working myself so don't know. Certainly I'd hope an employer would do much of the work for you. Hopefully someone who's had that experience can tell us.

bemused: pay tax on what? you wages? or other income? i never registered to pay tax but once i started working with my employer i received an income tax return (well a year after i started working) from the inland revenue that i had to fill in.

billyberjas: have you received a payslip from your worker? was tax deducted there? most employees make use of the Final Settlement System (FSS) whereby they deduct your tax immediately and you do not need to do anything else, except maybe ensure that at the end of the year you have paid the correct amount of tax.

Thank you to all of you, I followed the link you posted and got the phone number. They told me I do not need to do anything.

Myrkur wrote:

billyberjas: have you received a payslip from your worker? was tax deducted there? most employees make use of the Final Settlement System (FSS) whereby they deduct your tax immediately and you do not need to do anything else, except maybe ensure that at the end of the year you have paid the correct amount of tax.

Yes, tax was deducted on my payslip so i suppose i won't have problems in the future.

Thanks  :)

you will still get a tax assessment form (june 2011) - which you will need to fill in every year in order for them to check thah you are paying the correct amount of tax.

If you do not forward  the automatic return earlier together with your FSS  by March , that's when you will start to recieve the  assesment form with the deadline of end June. If  you do not have other earnings such as rental income or investments the June form may be futile and an unnecessary hassle .
Then again, I leave any tax issues in the hands of the expert so June return is settled and ready thanks to my brilliant tax advisor :)