Belize vs. Playa del Carmen

just curious if anyone with experience of both places and has any thoughts about pro and cons of one vs. the other.

i notice airfares to Cancun are very cheap, $280 from LA vs. $550 to Belize. it looks like food and entertainment may be a bit cheaper in Mex too.

its seems that you can get by just fine with English in both places but obviously a bit of Spanish can't hurt, especially in Mex.

what else, quality of life issues, getting around, safety, health care, making friends, etc.

i'm actually thinking about splitting my time between both this winter but interested to know from the local experts.

thanks

I recently relocated to Merida from Belize. My Spanish is limited but the locals are polite and accomodating. Its definitely less expensive overall across the board ( electricity and internet) with a greater selection and choice of amenities and commodities. In Bz  I missed shopping and a good selection of wine and foodstuffs at reasonable prices. The health care is very much better also. Its also very safe here

steveh2112 wrote:

just curious if anyone with experience of both places and has any thoughts about pro and cons of one vs. the other.

i notice airfares to Cancun are very cheap, $280 from LA vs. $550 to Belize. it looks like food and entertainment may be a bit cheaper in Mex too.

its seems that you can get by just fine with English in both places but obviously a bit of Spanish can't hurt, especially in Mex.

what else, quality of life issues, getting around, safety, health care, making friends, etc.

i'm actually thinking about splitting my time between both this winter but interested to know from the local experts.

thanks

I have a small home in Placencia Belize, the people are warm and friendly. The prices on most things are cheap except for vehicles and gasoline. I split my time between Texas and Belize. Since Southwest airlines started flying into BZE, the ticket prices have dropped drastically, it's just a matter of booking early and being flexible in travel dates to get really good prices. Search these forums for lots more info on the rest of your questions relating to Belize.

On the other destination, here is just one more of many reasons I will not put my body or any of my money into any part of Mexico:  https://constitution.com/volunteers-bea … e-victims/  Just one more thing the LameStream media buries in the background. It is no wonder the US State Department has issued warning to Americans.   https://travel.state.gov/content/passpo … rning.html

Areas in Mexico that used to be off limits to the Gangs that really run Mexico have recently started operating In/near Tourist destinations on the Yucatan Peninsula. Again the LameStream Media does a poor job on coverage, but the info is out there if you search for it.

SusanBelize wrote:

I recently relocated to Merida from Belize. My Spanish is limited but the locals are polite and accomodating. Its definitely less expensive overall across the board ( electricity and internet) with a greater selection and choice of amenities and commodities. In Bz  I missed shopping and a good selection of wine and foodstuffs at reasonable prices. The health care is very much better also. Its also very safe here

thanks, i should have mentioned the entire Yucatán peninsular in the title of my post, not just Playa.

what about social life Merida vs. Belize

as to the other reply that posted a link to volunteers getting raped and shot, unfortunately bad shit happens everywhere, certainly in the USA too, i think its all about finding a safe area with good people.

steveh2112 wrote:

I think its all about finding a safe area with good people.

This is a good goal.....to accomplish it I suggest Not ignoring the reality of the drug cartels rapidly expanding the areas they control in Mexico. You are correct that some violence exist in any country, but I know of no other country in the area where the national and local government has surrendered control to the the powerful drug cartels. Do you really think the US State Department issues such warning without cause? I wish you well.  :)

As per social life and so on...http://www.theyucatantimes.com/
As for crime etc Belize's homicide rate is actually higher than Mex though I never felt unsafe there but I got tired of petty theft and people always trying to extort money for one thing or another.
I like the colonial quaintness of Merida, huge markets and  the wide food variety, including international cuisine and because of its superior and very affordable health care delivery.
(I am a retired nurse).

Sorry the link doesnt show up but its Yucatan Times. The other source of information for me was an 8 part series written by the late Stewart Rogers called Belize vs Mahahual part one from Costa Maya life.
I am not a  beach person but that was his thing. He lived in Belize for 3 years before moving.

thanks for that article
https://costamayalife.com/2014/06/06/be … co-part-1/

very interesting, the whole series

SusanBelize wrote:

Sorry the link doesnt show up but its Yucatan Times. The other source of information for me was an 8 part series written by the late Stewart Rogers called Belize vs Mahahual part one from Costa Maya life.
I am not a  beach person but that was his thing. He lived in Belize for 3 years before moving.

SusanBelize, you mention the 'LATE' Stewart Rogers. I have not been in touch with Belize and Mexico forums recently. What happened to him? When?

It was last April. Heart attack in his sleep. He was 58 and diabetic. He had vague chest discomfort for awhile but ignored it.He was buried in South Carolina.

Oh that's sad. He was an amazing force for the development of Mahahual and so helpful to tourists visiting the area. Thanks for letting me know.