Cafes / Restaraunts

Hi, I thought I'd start a thread where people can put down cafes / restaurants they like and they think are worth checking out. Can be anything, street stores included. I tried Nôm Nôm the other day for the first time. Probably one of the better cafes / restaurants I've been to in the city centre...

Good idea for a thread!

Pasta - I like my pasta on a fairly regular basis and I like the spaghetti with tomato sauce at Good Morning VN. They make their own bread and it is very tasty.

Veggies and rice - Another place I like is Cafe Des Amis - I like their veggie dishes and it's the most economical restaurant meal I've found in the city. I've had meals there for as low as 45k - lots of veggies and a big bowl of rice with water. I don't know how they keep the price this low!

inntnow wrote:

I've had meals there for as low as 45k - lots of veggies and a big bowl of rice with water. I don't know how they keep the price this low!

It might burst your bubble but it could have something to do with the fact that the staff is making maybe 4 mil VND a month and the farmers who grow the rice and vegetables are likely making less.

I am not saying that expats have some obligation to change the social order but we should be aware of how it works.

Hey Inntow...
You went to Cafe Des Amis in Nha Trang recently .   Where is it now,..?    because the place was bulldozed a couple of months ago. 
I hope they've relocated.

inntnow wrote:

Good idea for a thread!

Pasta - I like my pasta on a fairly regular basis and I like the spaghetti with tomato sauce at Good Morning VN. They make their own bread and it is very tasty.

Veggies and rice - Another place I like is Cafe Des Amis - I like their veggie dishes and it's the most economical restaurant meal I've found in the city. I've had meals there for as low as 45k - lots of veggies and a big bowl of rice with water. I don't know how they keep the price this low!

thanks, I tried Good Morning VN, nice pasta and bread as you say...pizza's look good so might try one of those at some stage :) if I had one suggestion for the owner I would say change the name. I've walked past it many times assuming it is a Vietnamese restaurant when really it is an Italian one...

You are all probably well aware of this place, but today I stumbled on a fine French bakery nestled among the execrable fast food in the food court of Nha Trang Center.

The name is something like Chokko, can't recall for sure. I thought I would be able to find it online, but there is nothing. The place won't last long in those surroundings, so I suggest pouncing on it quickly if you have a sweet tooth.

It's open from 9 am-10 pm run by a nice older woman from Hanoi whose daughter in law in NT is the Cordon Bleu-trained pastry chef.

I enjoyed a passion fruit panna cotta there and it was delish. I got a tiramisu to take home. There were lots of chocolate pastries and drinks there as well.

P.S. If someone does go, please get the correct name for me so I can post their existence on trip advisor and give them a decent chance to survive.

Sorry I've been on the road for over a month so I did not know the dozer came! I guess it got hit while I was away! That's happened to a couple of my other favorites too. I know it moved location before but I don't know if it's re-opened somewhere else now. If I see it when I come back, I'll post here.