Close

Best visa option for a tourist living on Ko Samui

Hi there,
I recently moved to Ko Samui and am planning to extend my 30 day tourist visa for another 30 days then leaving via air for a few days and repeating that process. Has anybody tried this method? I'm on a US passport, this the reason for the 30 day visa. Thank you in advance for any advice!

Are you sure you have a visa because tourist visa's are usually good for sixty days.  It sounds like you have a visa exempt entry because you carry US passport and arrived without a visa you are allowed 30 day visa exempt entry.

When you fly out for a few days travel make sure its to a place that has Thailand consulate so you can apply for a tourist visa which will be good for 60 day stay.  You will be able to extend for another 30 days before you must leave again.

Thank you for your reply and yes you are correct. I have a 30 day visa exempt entry and plan to extend it for another 30 days. Then leave via air and do the same thing. I didn't bother with the 60 day tourist visa because I've been reading about getting the 30 day extension on the 30 day visa exempt entry...just curious if anyone has had experience doing this...

Are you 50 or older? Do you have monthly income (pension, social security) or do you have about $25,000 USD to put in a bank account?  If the answer is yes, you can apply for a 3 mth temporary O visa and a 12 mth O-A retirement visa.  That's what I did last year and just received an extension for another 12 mths.

If you are not 50 yrs of age, then you will have to keep leaving the country.  I don't know of any other visas you could get. I'm not sure how hard it is to get a 30 day extension every other month once the 30 day visa exempt runs out.

Thank you very much for the information.  I am not retired or under 50 so no luck there. I was also thinking of buying/starting a small business but sounds like that may be a bit expensive...I've heard talking to a lawyer may be helpful as well but I'd like to hear other people's experiences if there are any similar to mine. Cheers.

Expatriate health insurance in Koh Samui

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Koh Samui

Moving to Koh Samui

Find tips from professionals about moving to Koh Samui

International Wealth Management

Get advice from well-reputed and experienced international wealth managers regarding your financial affairs

Travel insurance in Koh Samui

Enjoy stress-free travel to Koh Samui