Retiring in Crete

Hi, I live in NZ currently and have been retired for 3 years..I am 68. Struggling to find if I can afford to live in Crete. I will come in on a dutch passport so will have EU benefits.
Problem with budgeting is knowing when I am going to die haha
As it stands now, what do you think the cost of living would be for a month on a very basic  lifestyle.
I will receive my NZ pension about 800 eu per month.  Do I need to show a 2000 eu bank balance every month?
My transfer cost if I sell my house would translate to about 250,000 eu, If you are a number cruncher how do you feel that would last...exchange rate doesn't help of course. NZ is currently 1.63
Sorry so many answers needed at the moment to make my decision.
would you buy or rent...depends how the money could stretch in the latter years.
all in my basic question is can I afford to do it! It is all very well checking things out on my computer, but it is not reality.
Looking forward to some positive responses
cheers Mary

Hello Mary,to answer some of your questions..I have lived in Greece,Athens,Corinthos, for many years and used the system,especially health system.You will manage very nicely on your pension,of course being careful.Your health assurance you will need to find cover here or perhaps you will be entitled to continue getting health care from NZ while you are out of the country,I dont know,if not you could pay in Greece from your capital or interest on your capital.I believe you should rent somewhere,you could always move around if you wanted,if you decide you prefer a different area or you dont like the local natives or expats ha.Your pension is fine but your health care will be extra and believe me having myself recently had things going wrong like open surgery for huge gall stones and removal of the gallbladder which the state health care said I must wait 3-6 months the panic will set in,so the private care is a must.Tests etc.here and visits to private doctors are very reasonable and you could pay from your own pocket depending on what standard of cover you take out.On Crete you will find many expats who I believe get together,support each other and organise social gatherings,also do fund raising together etc..they have fun.The hospitals on Crete are good.I met a Greek woman in a private hospital here in Athens who had come from Lesvos to have some kidney stones lasered,so it may happen that Athens is required on occasions.From Crete you would be able to visit many islands,lots of things to see and do and you have the rest of Europe at your finger-tips should you fancy some exploration.As I said I would rent and make sure it is not too old a building,not less than eighties build because Greece,Crete is a major earthquake area and you dont want to be inside if a poor construction place comes down on you.You dont have to show money in the bank but you must get a tax number,an accountant and register as a resident,but other expats will help you on Crete,I believe there is a Crete forum,I wish you happy days.Another thing to tell you is never to disclose your affairs when living there only disclose something like..I live on a very basic pension,I dont have savings,in fact Im poor,very poor indeed.I dont have antiques,jewellery etc..,nothing,let very few people into your home,only close friends,do not mention other monies in your local shops,news travels fast,especially in Greece and on Crete.You need bars at the windows(make sure you are able to get out in a fire)and a slide over metal gate at the doors,many locks are required.These safety precautions are needed universally,I have been robbed,they got in so easy,a crow bar is their best friend,and get a dog.

thank your for your very informative message, much for me to absorb , I have  taken note. Health insurance seems to be sitting at 500 euros per month from Cigna and Nomad...any other companies I should look at?

You can look at Allianz and General