Can rental income be taken into account for a 'Retired' visa?

I recently entered Ecuador on a 2-year Volunteer Visa.  The voluntary work was not what I had expected, and I left the organisation which sponsored the visa, after just a few weeks.  I am still in Ecuador.  I spoke to an immigration officer who informed me that I can still stay for the remainder of the 2 years, but will have to leave within a month if the organisation officially informs them I have ceased the voluntary work.  This puts me in a precarious position so I am considering other visa options.  Ideally, I would like to stay in Ecuador, and teach English part-time.

I am 52 years old and do not receive any form of pension, whether state or private.  I do however receive around $2,600 a month in rental income from 2 properties that I rent out in my home country, England. 

On various forums, I have only seen reference to income from pensions applying to Retirement Visas. 
Can anyone tell me whether rental income can also count towards the required income for these visas?   

If so, can I apply for the visa in Ecuador?

Is it best to use an agent to assist with the process?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated  :)

Dear Keva,

Welcome to the Ecuador forum.

Rental income is not allowed as a basis for a visa for Ecuador.

The reason:  Unlike USA Social Security or pensions, income from rental properties is not consistently reliable.

For instance, your renter(s) could refuse to renew a lease, leaving you with a vacancy that you are unable to fill immediately.  Or deadbeat tenants could stop paying rent and need to be evicted, leaving you without rental income from them for months and paying attorney/housing-court costs.


If the agency with which you volunteered reports you as no longer participating .. and you still wish to remain in the country .. contact an immigration attorney or a recommended visa facilitator .. to review your options.

One option might be an investor visa based on buying a certificate of deposit. 

Ecuador used to offer a professional visa based on one's university degree.  However, that may have been wiped away with the implementation of a streamlined immigration law a few months ago.


Many thanks for your response cccmedia. 

I have a job interview with an English language school in the next few days.  I will ask whether they would assist with a work visa, but given that I would prefer to work part-time, I'm not sure whether it will be possible.

You may have some additional options with your visa status as you can prove ongoing income, which can allow you an extended visa status.

Contact Dana Cameron who is listed as one of the recommended service providers in the Business Directory. 


Thanks....I will do that.

New topic